Workshop windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRider

Reaction score
Good morning, I’m building a workshop, and want to add a couple “Windows” for natural light... here’s the kicker, I live on the 16th Tee of a golf course so glass is out of the question.

Plexiglass or Lexan... Acrylic or Polycarbonate... what’s the consensus?... and why?

Lexan would be my choice as I worked for the company that made it for 43 years and have seen many tests. Some of the testing was not intended as the kids in Chicago were hanging cement blocks on ropes where our locomotives went under roads right at windshield height and if they can take that they can handle a golf ball.

They used to have a big window framed in a 6x6 frame lag bolted in every 2 inches all around for trade shows and they had a sledgehammer for people to take a swing at it. Plexiglas costs a lot less but will crack much easier you can bend Lexan in a press brake where Plexiglas will crack if you try and bend it cold.

I would buy regular windows and make an outside frame with hardware cloth for protection.

As a kid I was hitting off the first tee and pulled one and bounced it off the roof of Mr. Trombeta’s house. I said to the kid I was with I’m glad Trombeta is not home today. From behind me I heard “No he’s not he’s standing behind you.” Longest 18 holes I ever played.

I'd suggest using these.
https://www.ezebreezewindows.com/This company was started to solve the exact issue your dealing with.
Lexan is good stuff, but you will not be able to open the window to get some air flow.
Hardware cloth will look like poop, and if it's to close to the glass it's still going to break.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen them before sounds like they are just the ticket. Their advertisement web sight is a little hard to find that they are able to take impact from say a golf ball. At least I had to dig to find anything that said that.

Chicken wire/hardware cloth and such will look like poop but for a workshop but also will add a layer of protection for those climbing in a window on the back side of your shop and taking your tools. :coffee:

Back