Worn Out Deck Suggestions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csc67

Reaction score
Deck 1.jpg Deck 2.jpg I have a painted deck that hasn't seen much love in the last 5 - 6 years (enclosed pictures). Do I need to get all the paint off before apply another coat of paint? If yes, can I use either a power washer or chemicals to remove old paint?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume the pressure washer will remove most old the old paint...

I use to own a condo that had a similar deck color. I pressure washed it and put a solid stain on it, you wouldn't believe the improvement. Still looks good 10 years later.

I just went through a deck rehab. There was some water damage and some tornado damage, so I ended up replacing quite a lot of lumber, but a pressure washer did wonders on the wood that remained. We took all the fence slats off because many were cracked or broken completely. We took a double row off as it was a privacy fence at one time for a pool but put one row back up, so all the slats that went back up are original to the deck. Pressure washed and stained them before putting them back up. They were weathered pretty bad. but cleaned up nice.

Here's a link if it helps.

https://www.houserepairtalk.com/threads/rebuilding-the-deck-after-f-3.29377/

Last edited:
I would start with a pressure washer.
I am not a painter or a carpenter , but I agree , Art least a 2000 psi pressure washer . Home Depot , and probably others , rent them .

Figure out what that will cost you . Then figure out what it would cost you to purchase one . Some rental places will sell their rental models . Might consider that ?

Wyr
God bless

I watched a guy use something like this the other day on a garage floor. He said he got it at Home Depot.

Back