Would you replace this subfloor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevbob

Reaction score
Hello! I removed some laminate from our 1/2 bath as it was splitting from a bad toilet seal. I was prepared for a subfloor replacement, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all rotted out. In fact, there's just a bit of staining.

With this in mind, would you, esteemed forum readers, even bother replacing the subfloor? (Pics attached)

One more question: The laminate itself extends through our house, and the image shows the joint with a hallway, at the outer edge of the doorway. It would have been convenient to have it right in the middle so I could put a transition down, since the new laminate of course ain't going to match it exactly. Would you suggest trying to use the existing natural joint, or somehow split it at the middle of the doorway? (The screwdriver position is the laminate joint)

Thanks!

subfloor1.jpg

subfloor2.jpg

threshold.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see the pictures for some reason.
Usually you would just put a transition piece under the door.

I can't see the pictures for some reason.
Usually you would just put a transition piece under the door.

I think you posted while I was replacing the image links that didn't work with actual images embedded in the post. :D

That sub floor sure looks like that seal leaked before (or something did) and someone had no cue on how to cut and removed the flange and just cut out around it and replaced the subflooring with the worst possible choice of subflooring, particle board.
It gets wet once and it swells up and turns to oat meal.
Unless your on a slab I would have cut off the toilet drain line below the floor and removed the pipe and flange, then use Advantech for a sub floor.
I'm blown away there even allowed to still sell or make particle board.

That square piece around the flange isn't actually particle board though it does look like it. It's some sort of cement board material; you knock on it and it's solid as a rock.

joe, I think you are right now that I dig into the edge just a smidge with a scorer.

It’s a half bath adjacent to our front door and hallway. The real baths have vinyl sheeting.

Particle board sub flooring, laminate is a wet area, there's a disaster waiting to happen.

If you remove just one more board of the laminate, I think you would be able to fit a transition (or a saddle) in the doorway. Don't bother putting laminate back in the bath, even if it's only a washroom. You have the opportunity to do it right with a vinyl product or tile.

And it sure looks like particle board to me. If it is, replace it now also.

Yep folks, I took that subfloor out completely and put in plywood to replace it. I felt much better about that.

thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Back