Yellow jacket nest i

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpglinka

Reaction score
We have a yellow jacket nest in the corner of old farm house. See them hovering around wood trim, sprayed. It's up 2 stories. Gets worse. They are finding way into the house and I can't figure where. Killed around 6 a day last three days. Who would be the best to fix problem? Called a place called Bee Safe Service, but they didn't seem to know much. Said they would come out and spray, with 30 day guarantee, but never asked to see it first. Would cost $349. Any suggestions?

I haved extended a shop vac hose with thin walled PVC pipe to the entrance of a nest and ran the vac until I captured most of them. The best time to run it is late in the day when they are all coming in. The ones that are already in will come out to fight. I would repeat for a few evenings if necessary.

I forgot to mention I'm in central Michigan. Outdoor traps might freeze soon. Don't know how it will go with cold weather coming, will thet hibernate, die or will warmth of house keep them going?

I forgot to mention I'm in central Michigan. Outdoor traps might freeze soon. Don't know how it will go with cold weather coming, will thet hibernate, die or will warmth of house keep them going?
IIRC the fertilized queen will hibernate for the winter (prolly in your siding, not necessarily in the nest) and start anew in the spring.

IIRC the fertilized queen will hibernate for the winter (prolly in your siding, not necessarily in the nest) and start anew in the spring.

Will others just die off?

Yes, all adults other than queen die off. So the solution might be wait until spring. If the queen chooses to use or expand existing location you may be able to capture or destroy them while few in number as they hatch.

Yes, all adults other than queen die off. So the solution might be wait until spring. If the queen chooses to use or expand existing location you may be able to capture or destroy them while few in number as they hatch.
Won't the warmth of the house keep some alive? When is hatching time, in Michigan? All I see is crack in wood trim where they swarm and go in. Can't see nest. It's around the yellow trim just above the red.

Attachments

• HPIM0965.JPG
    HPIM0965.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 9
Nice house! No, They are seasonal, it's not just the freeze, food is also not available.

Nice house! No, They are seasonal, it's not just the freeze, food is also not available.
Thanks and old. Sounds like we'll wait until spring. I found a guy who takes yellow jackets free.
Rock's Free Yellow Jacket & Hornet Removal
Why Is It Free?

At the end of the season, the end of October, the Rockafellows send out their prize possessions to a laboratory where the venom is extracted from each hornet or yellow jacket, one at a time. The process is tiresome and tedious, but the end result helps many people who are allergic to their powerful sting. The venom is used to create a serum to help ensure a more mild reaction, thus keeping more people out of the hospital.

Problem is they have filled their orders and are finished for the season. Hope to connect in the spring. Thanks for your information.

Back