Yellow jackets!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelly

Reaction score
I'm concerned because of the sudden appearance of yellow jackets, which appear to be Queens, in my family room. About a week ago, my neighbor's tree fell in my yard after an ice storm. He chopped up the tree and instead of throwing out the large pieces of wood, I decided to keep some of it as firewood. Unfortunately I didn't inspect the wood. I just brought it in and set it next to my fireplace. About a week goes by and I noticed a queen yellow jacket flying around that general area. I thought it was just one that had come in through the door. So I killed her and suddenly two more Yellow Jackets appear in the family room. I'm no expert but these other 2 also appeared to be Queens. It's my understanding that any yellow jacket you see in early spring is more than likely a queen. What gets me is that I took all of the firewood back out of my house. And even after I removed the firewood completely from my home and inspected the entire family room one evening, the very next day more Yellow Jacket Queens showed up. And they showed up in the window sill. When I look out the window, I see several Yellow Jackets going in and out of my house where the brick and the aluminum siding meet. I went outside with my mother and my aunt last night and sprayed every possible place we could with raid. About 4 years ago I had a very serious problem with a large Hive in the chimney. I got that treated and thankfully nothing returned. That occurred in September 2014.
My questions are, do Queens hide in firewood? Do you think she started building a nest in my house? How likely is it that I could have a large active Hive in my wall this early in Spring? Any other advice? I do have Terminix coming out on Tuesday.

Terminex will solve the problem. But I am not so sure that all the bees you are seeing are queens. Yellow jackets nest in the ground, so they might not even be yellow jackets. The bees (just using the term generically) you are seeing are pretty common around freshly cut wood, they like the sap. And the problem may go away by itself once the wood has dried up a bit. Chances are they are tracking the smell into your house as it seems you brought in the fresh wood.

Screenshot_20180506-102201.png Screenshot_20180506-102201.png 20180505_233747.jpg

These are the ones that we found and killed. I do see them flying around outside of the soffits near my roof as well. And as I mentioned I also see them going in and out where the aluminum meets the brick.
I suppose they could also be in the ground. This is the window that I see them by and interestingly, the window is right at ground level. I live in a quad level and this is the level where the room is halfway Underground.

Last edited:
Damn, I hate those things. I got stung on the armpit as a kid, and it burned all day. I've got nothing other than burning the house down. (said jokingly)

Lol I know! Waiting for the pest control guys to get here right now. I got attacked by a hive of these when I was 13. No fun!

They are nasty when defending themselves or their home so you want to stay on top of this and not let them set up a home.
Unlike honey bees they can sting more than once and the sting is much more painful but they do pollinate the flowers.
They like the garbage can and meat on the barbeque especially the stuff with sweet sauce on it.

Back