Yes I can!! Just tell me how...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptika

Reaction score
Hey all...I am the newest member. I happen to be female raised by an independent father who was a self taught "do it myself" home repair man. With the extra hands of my mother most things got repaired.. although not always in the fastest manner BUT with his own talent. As a home owner myself, my dilema is that I have an outdated pocket door that separates my kithen and living room. With an in-process update going on in my kitchen the cabinets were installed without removing this pocket door. I wasn't too worried at the time because I though it a simple removal. The door doesn't appear to be completely out of the pocket when closed and has a tendency to get stuck when partially closed. Question is if the door is not completely out of the pocket when closed is there a way I can remove it without cutting it out? And with this problem can I replace the door with out making a hole on that side? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It would be impossible to replace the tracks without wrecking one side of the wall. It should be possible to remove just the door casing and remove the door though. It just depends on how it was built and where the stops are that center the door when closed.
Then again, You may have a center stop that is accessible without removing the casing at all. Look at the top track and see if you can see a stop block near the center of the door. If you see one, remove the block and pull one of the doors past center. You should be able to determine how much trouble it will be to remove it once you get it completely out of the wall

There is a type of hardware that has a clip at the top that swivels out of the way. If you are lucky they used it. Check out johnson hardware for examples.

Back