Zinsco Electrical Panel question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan smith

Reaction score
In the panel foto below, there's a 70 amp breaker at the top right with no specific assigned circuit. It had been referred to as a disconnect, and had been blowing occasionally until the wires to it were "rerouted".
What might have been the purpose of this 70 amp breaker?
Electric Panel.JPG

If you turn that breaker off, I would expect that all of the circuits in that panel would be off.

In other words, that "main disconnect" allows power to go to all of the circuits in the panel.

Who "rerouted" the wires, and where did they reroute them too?

Remove the dead front panel, (that which covers the breakers ), so we can see what's going on inside.

Could that have been the main when power was first installed and then when power was upgraded (there clearly is more than 70 amps of power being used thru that entire panel), leaving that main only controlling the few original breakers?

The main breaker will be the supply to the whole panel.

You have been advised to turn that Circuit Breaker off and see if the whole panel is dead . That is all that is needed .

If you do not wish to do so , hire a licensed electrician .

No point in further discussion until that has been accomplished .

Or forget about it and go back to your life .

Wyr
God bless

Unless I was an electrician or very familiar with this brand of breaker box, I wouldn't touch it. I agree with toyotaas, get it replaced/upgraded.

Back