Outside window frame rotting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rymer

Reaction score
Hello, I have a three section window which is rotting at the bottom of the frame, as shown in the pictures below. I'm looking to repair this and was wondering what the best approach would be. I've heard there is a two part expoxy which when it hardens, is like wood. Can I use a router to remove the rotted section and fill it with the epoxy? Do I need to remove windows? Thank you in advance...

IMG_20160514_154750124.jpg

IMG_20160514_154826742.jpg

IMG_20160514_154802984.jpg

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Yes there is a two part epoxy, when it sets up it is like Bondo that's used in auto repair. It's sandable and paintable. My first concern is why is the wood rotting. Is it form improper installation or lack of maintenance?

There are two part repair compounds which are dissimilar from BONDO, in appearance, however the mixing, application and prep for paint process is similar.

One is not better than another, tan is not better than pink, just cut to the chase and used BONDO.

A homeowners work is never done.

I'm not sure how the house was built as we've been in the house ten years. The house was built in 1969. I believe the paint chipped and peeled allowing water and moisture to seep in. Thank you for the info.

When I use polyester body filler I like to use one similar to duraglas that is fiberglass reinforced. If the are to be filled is large once you get the rotted stuff cut out screw a piece of wood in to rough fill the space. If the patch is large but irregular and you will be using a thick amount of filler I run a bunch of drywall screws into the wood that will end up below flush when finished. The screws sticking out give the filler something to get a grip on.

Another tip is the bondo type fillers can be thinned with the clear polyester resin you use with fiberglass cloth. The same hardener will cause them both to kick. The thinned material will make a harder top coat than the bondo alone and will spread on very smooth.

All I see that's rotting is the brick molding and widow stop molding that can be removed and replaced with PVC so it will never rot again.

Latest posts

Back