Return Air question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
I live in an older house about 1200 square feet. There are four rooms in a square, and a longer room and bathroom across the back of the house. There is a door joining each room, so I can walk in the front door, go to my right, make a circle through the rooms and be back at the front door from the left. Clear as mud I'm sure.

Anyway, when my HVAC was installed many years ago, the guy put the return air in the floor with the thermostat above on the wall, but the return also runs under the wall and has an equal size opening in the floor on the other side of the wall in the living room as well. He said he needed to do that because of how the house was layed out.

I haven't had any issues, but does that sound common? I'm just wondering if I covered one side and it only drew from the side with the thermostat if that would make any difference with anything.

The more returns provides more volume and makes for a good flowing, efficient system.

I just had 4 returns installed with the new A/C system I just had installed.

Thanks, I'll leave it alone.

I hadn't had any issues, but I know that ideas change over time concerning everything. Remember, there was a time when everyone thought the bill would be cheaper if you set your thermostat and left it alone. Now, the idea is that turning it down when away for long periods saves(which makes sense to me.) We even have programmable thermostats.

My grandmother owned an older house once with a return air in every room, but I noticed that most homes just had one, so I was just checking. Thanks.

I'd leave it be if it is working fine.

Edit: What the heck is wrong with my comments? It copied something from my previous post in another thread? :-\

Last edited:
Using the quote tab will duplicate what is posted in your next reply.

Back