Is this mold?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ws669

Reaction score
I cant tell if this is mold or not. Wood in my attic looks pretty clean, no evidence of water leaks, but I found this on 1 board. Its hard as a rock, cant tell if its dirt or what.

Thanks

IMG_20120119_115910.jpg

Looks like cement to me, probably used as a form board before it was put in attic for framing.

thats what I was hoping but I'm not the expert. Dont really know how to tell up close what mold is supposed to look like.

I found about 3 more boards that have flat grey stuff on them, it isnt fuzzy or anything, the flash made it look white. Does this look like mold?

IMG_20120119_120743.jpg

Lots of times building inspectors and or engineers want the builder to stiffin up the framing in the attic to make the structure stronger. This is a good place for the builder to use up old form work or bent and twisted lumber he didn't want to put in the house.
If you chip some off, you will find that is concrete.

Can you smell anything? If that was mold, then with that much of it you would most likely have a very noticeable odor.

Spray some bleach and water about 50/50 and see what happens.
Mold is not hard and would wipe off on your finger as you tryed to wipe it off.
How is you attic vented?

Back