Sub floor in upstairs bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetslice

Reaction score
Good morning!

I thought I had my answer per another post but just to be the same answers apply to an upstairs bathroom....

We had to tear out the plywood flooring in our upstairs bathroom to get rid of mold (treated and all that, mold = gone!). He took out two full sheets of plywood and replaced with 3/4 inch treated sheets. The existing plywood, still healthy, measured 3/4 inch, there's only a small strip on the far end of the bathroom left.

These were attached to braced beams below.

Naturally, the new plywood is probably 1/8 to 1/4 inch thicker. We plan to put down cement board and ceramic tile.

In a prior post, it was suggested to level plywood difference with a cementious based floor patch / leveler. Is this still the product and method to use in our case?

Thank you. If anyone has questions about creating a publication for print, I can help with that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sounds like the floor leveler is your best bet.

I have used thinset to fill in gouged out spots in plywood after removing vinyl and that worked as well since I was using that very same thinset for my durock that was under my tile. If your strip is very small the thinset would probably work fine if you will be putting down durock or some other cement board under your tile.

Latest posts

Back