Best cheap option for ceiling in cabin?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I have an older season cabin which currently has drywall ceilings. This cabin is not heated in the winter, so the drywall seams have cracked. In addition, it is older drywall and is brittle in some spots. (Found this when I went to patch a hole from an ambitious squirrel.)

Looking for the best option to solve for this issue. Thinking it is best to cover it up vs trying to remove. Anyone have any recommendations regarding the best material for his project? Looking to do this in an inexpensive manner if possible. Thanks.

For cheap you could use 4x8 paneling going over the drywall. For a better look, I'd go with tongue and groove pine. But that won't be cheap. Hardi-Panel would be OK. I did this in a screen porch about 15 years ago. I used T1-11 Hardi-Panels. They'll run you about $40 a sheet now though, so not cheap.

Seams cracking has nothing to do with the lack of heat in the winter.
More likely it's something like someone used 1/2 instead of 5/8 drywall, not enough screws, or poor taping job.
Only time I've seen "brittle" sheetrock is if there's a moisture issue.
Cheapest way is to fix what's there.
Second would be to go over it a second layer of 1/2 light weight drywall with drywall glue and screws.

Joe, good point. When we first purchased the property, the roof was in poor shape. We had a new metal roof installed, so know any past water issues are (should be) fixed.

If the ceiling is 1/2" drywall, would it be ok to simply remove the old tape and redo the seams?

Back