Question regarding kitchen cabinets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelechim

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to forum. If you look at my intro you'll see everything seems to be falling down around us. I'm married to a husband I love very much but he is NOT meticulous when it comes to woodworking.

We are about to redo our kitchen. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as we go along...here is my first two:

Question 1:When you put your base cabinets in side by side, I have the feeling you are supposed to fill the groove/small line where they but up against on another. We are painting them, so I want the paint to be smooth. Are you? Or do you overlay them with something else?

Question 2: When putting in a peice of filler between cabinets, what is best method for doing so? My husband on our last quick install of stock cabinetry did this wrong I'm pretty sure. I get irritated when I look at it. We have exposed hinges. He took a white peice of plain wood and very haphazardly notched it out where it would have bumped into hinges. It's messy and gross. I'm thinking you don't have it over your hinges at all. I'm thinking it is supposed to be flush with side of cabinet? Is this true?

Many thanks,
Michele

First, decide what look you want for your kitchen, you want smooth. Hard to get since wood moves, this includes the faceframes of cabinets if they are wood.

My sugestion is go to the local Cabinet company and talk with them about cabinets and designs. You do not have to use the company, just learn what you can from them about the differences in materials and looks.
Who knows , they may be cheaper than the box stores, and help you with your install to get started...if they want to sell you cabinets.:D

We always use quick clamps when screwing our cabs together as we work.:clap:Keeps everything on the same plane...and smooth as possible.

You can also look up for some designs on magazines about kitchen cabinet designs and stuff

I agree with inspector D. I used to own a custom cabinet shop in Arizona for 10 years. The seasonal humidity changes made selling painted cabinets difficult. The joints would always crack, on the face frames as well as the doors. I would not putty and paint over these seams as they will surely crack. If you are using a face frame cabinet with a standard overlay hinge, you will have room to put a small molding over the seam between cabinets. This will also crack at the edges but will not be nearly as visible.

Back