Foundation Mositure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornnumb2

Reaction score
New here but have been pulling my hair out for years on the moisture problem I have from my slab. The home was built in the 60's and i was told they used shell in the concrete mix back then and it holds the moisture. Over the slab in most rooms is satillo tile that has efforence and such coming through. I did try to cover up the problem in the kitchen by laying a vapor barrier and wood laminate on top but while looks good you can see that the moisture is now creeping up the walls and rotting the bottom of the kitchen cabinets its but up against. Is there a tile or something that I could put down over the satillo that will still breath? The only other option I see is that the slab is recessed 2 inches to put the satillo in when built and break that out to the slab and lay vapor barrier and add 2 inches of concrete over. But I am concerned that it will still seep out around the edges and rot the 2x4 walls. I hope somebody has the magic solution to this problem. I am located in Houston, TX. Thanks Michael

Welcome to the site. You need to lower the water table under the house. Add a perimeter drain around the house close to the level of the footing and pipe that away from the house or pump it up and out if you have to.

Latest posts

Back