Suggestions on how to repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatewood

Reaction score
What would be the cheapest way to repair this problem with the garage? As you can tell the driveway is sloping and is not level causing a gap between the garage door and concrete. It's large enough for a small animal to get through. I'm deciding if I want to buy this property, and want to know this will not break the bank. Thanks.

garage.jpg

Call a contractor in your area and see if it possible to 'mud jack' the garage slab and get an estimate of cost for the job. Otherwise, your looking at having the slab removed and re-poured.

The cheapest way (not best or recommended way) to fix is to cut a slab of plywood and fasten it to bottom panel to fill the hole.

It was likely built like that for a reason to pass inspection. If you raise the garage floor you would likely be above the foundation wall on that side.
If you lower the garage you might not have enough frost depth on the wall between the garage and house and the door will be to short.

Are there any cracks on the garage walls that you can see on the inside foundation?Or is there a door in the back that does not quite work so well also. If so...you may have bigger issues of settlement with the structure.

Without a closer picture of the garage with the door open it's hard to say what is actually the problem.

LOLOL ... guys! Square door and curved driveway ... basic geometry, right? Best repair is to take off from the right corner of the garage and re-pour to appropriate slope and height.

I would ask the owner for a give-back deduction on the price for this "essential" repair. Can't have raccoons slipping into the garage for the night, right? Should not be a deal breaker and your problem will be quickly solved, Mr. Gatewood!

:D

Villa; Not so fast, that is the answer if the foundation is high enough and it might be, but we don't know that. The brick and siding may be installed over concrete but if the wall is down that low then some thought has to be put into how to raise the floor and then on the outside could not be raised as secondary wall drainage has to be considered. The existing concrete around the outside corner would have to be removed so water would not get trapped next to the house.

The house could also have shifted. I saw one once where they straightened out the siding but the foundation was sinking on the garage side of the house. It looked straight from the outside but inside the floors had a large slope to them.

DOCTOR! We need those x-rays STAT! And more pics from Mr. Gatewood! :D

garage.jpg

The reason I saw this as a mistake, I have seen it before. It started with the guy digging the hole went a little deeper to get to good soil in that corner. The framer ( inexperienced) just continues with 4 ft high forms. What hard to beleive here is, it is check be the builder, the form rentle outfit, the engineer, the city inspector and the servayours. They put treated lumber against the framing on the inside and poored the floor to that.
Joe could be right but I think there would be more to see as far a damage.
To answer the first question. Hard to guess prices but, remove, much of the garage floor, remove some of the driveway, backfill the garage and driveway, form up driveway, poor new concrete?
Well over $5000 and if Joe is right, other repairs might be required. I would be looking for $10,000 off the price.

Another option is installing a large rubber sweep. In this case really large. Kind of odd. Make sure water is not being trapped on one side of the garage due to this - that would almost force you to go the more expensive route. At any rate, get a good idea of the cost and deduct it from the selling price.

Back