DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > What type of light do I need to look for to replace this one?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 PM  
agateaqua
Default What type of light do I need to look for to replace this one?

Hello all

I have had this old lamp in my bathroom for way to long and want to replace it.

https://ibb.co/mOpMi6

Any idea what I should look for when buying a new lamp ?
Because I don't have a clue

thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2920 Times on 2560 Posts
Likes Given: 4809

Lot's to choose from.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-...g/N-5yc1vZc7pr

zannej Likes This 
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 423 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That particular style of fixture lends itself to a full width mirror and either/or a double sink vanity and the aesthetics demanded can dictate the fixture chosen to replace it;
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/ba...8aAjGCEALw_wcB
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1130 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

It's mostly an aesthetic question. LED bulbs can fit just about any fixture these days. So choose what you like.
You may want to remove the existing fixture and see how it is connected to the electrical system. It should have a junction box behind the fixture, but I have seen some weird and even dangerous shortcuts taken.
People Like This 
Old 10-17-2017, 03:53 AM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Yes, it seems that fixture is a very wide double sink width.

Although Home Depot, Lowes and other big box stores has light fixtures it really depends on your tastes and the look of the bathroom.

Light fixtures can range greatly in price. You may be best off going to a local lighting store that will have a much greater selection on display than the big box stores will have. This way you can actually see the fixture, touch and sense if it will serve your purposes. Shopping for one online may not give you the ability to feel it the light fixture will be what you want until you get it in your hands. Take a measurement of the length of the fixture you have now and go to a store.

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!
zannej Likes This 
Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM  
Steve123
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

LED's are becoming more popular. But one thing I would suggest is that you check that "bulbs" are a standard size and replaceable, so that you will be able to find a replacement for when it burns out in 5 years.
zannej Likes This 
Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 AM  
Kabris
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
It's mostly an aesthetic question. LED bulbs can fit just about any fixture these days. So choose what you like.
You may want to remove the existing fixture and see how it is connected to the electrical system. It should have a junction box behind the fixture, but I have seen some weird and even dangerous shortcuts taken.

Agreed, I would see what's behind that fixture before shopping for a new light. If there is a box it should be in the center of the old light.
zannej Likes This 
Old 10-22-2017, 02:13 PM  
agateaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoonyb View Post
That particular style of fixture lends itself to a full width mirror and either/or a double sink vanity and the aesthetics demanded can dictate the fixture chosen to replace it;
So I could buy a full length (48'") or two smaller (I assume any small width is fine) lights ? Because I asked at lampplus several times in email , & I'm not getting any answers

Old 10-22-2017, 02:43 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 423 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by agateaqua View Post
So I could buy a full length (48'") or two smaller (I assume any small width is fine) lights ? Because I asked at lampplus several times in email , & I'm not getting any answers
If you by 2 smaller, shorter, fixtures and you have only a single fixture box, you'll need them to be joinable or you'll need to add another fixture box for them both to work.

I only view products on-line, and visit the store for finite details, because I'm old fashioned and want to see their smiling face when they take my money.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 PM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 106

agateaqua you will need to pay a bit more attention to the specific questions being asked of you by at least two persons, slownsteady and Snoonyb which are important that you respond and so far I have not seen that you have responded. The questions relate to the type of box that the present light is mounted to. This can make a big difference to the type of light/s that you may be limited to. Please read the responses by these replies referencing the type of box that is behind the present fixture. Then you will receive more accurate/useful advise - this decision is not only up to "what kind of light you want" but what kind of light you may only be able to use.

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!

Last edited by afjes_2016; 10-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.