Removing Laminate Kitch Counter Top

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
Assuming the sink and foucet are already out, what are your best tips for removing a kitchen laminate counter top? I saw one guy pop up the end with a car jack ...

Seriously, we want to do this without damaging the base cabinets ... The kitchen was built in the early 1960's and the countertops look prefabricated.

Did you crawl inside to see if there were screws there?
Was the backsplace stuck to the back wall or did it look like it was attached to the deck?
When the routering was done was it just a clean cut or a bevel or ?
If there is a bevelled edge and it is within 3" from the end of the run, that would indicate it was prebuilt.
If it looks like it may be screwed down from above,, the wifes iron will loosen the glue, remove enough to find nails or screws.

Here is the photo I was sent ... Notice the prefab backsplash and the side overhang. The left outside edge is laminate that was glued with cement per usual. The right side backsplash is just a laminated piece of 1x4 material. Have not looked under the countertop for screws or brackets

Ideas??

LAMINATE.jpg

That's screwed in from below, it's K3 board so if you don't get all the screws, you should still get it out by hand and no damage to the cupboard. It's the normal stuff you still can buy at box stores.

Want to give closure here ... The countertop came off using a wood block and a framing hammer ... not ONE nail or screw holding it in place. Just a thin bead of wood glue. The cast iron sink was a drop in so it should have been easy but the rim clips were attached before the countertop was dropped in place.

Should have taken pics ... but I used a 2x4 across the topside and #12 electrical wire through the sink drains to suspend the sink. Cut the sink loose then lifted it and the outer rim away from the old countertop.

This guy did a funny job ...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyUyBbSk-4[/ame]

New countertop went in "per plan" after that and the upscale composite sink plus touch-control faucet was installed. Client is delighted.

Back