prepping concrete basement floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I've been moving ahead on some basement renovations (while waiting for it to get warm enough to attack my kitchen ceiling) and the floor has some issues.

It's a concrete basement floor previously covered with tiles about 1980. I was going to leave them down and cover with vinyl interlocking planks. But as I started checking more closely, many tiles were loose, and the more I picked up,the more I found loose. So now I have about half the basement still tiled and half down to adhesive-covered concrete (probably cutback adhesive).
So that is.....

problem #1 - I don't want to strip the adhesive. I have heard that it can be "encapsulated" and left down. What's the best way to do this? Some say just cover it with 6 mil plastic sheeting and some say it should be covered with a cement product like Ardex (fine feather?)

problem #2 - There are one or two spots that show signs of moisture (found on the bottom side of plastic sheet which is temporary covering), so I probably need a sealer

problem #3 - there are a few pitted spots that need about a half-inch of fill.

So is there one product that can do all three (a guy can dream, can't he??)? Or if I need to use separate products, in what order should I do it? (fill, seal, encapsulate & level?)

Should I even bother leaving the remaining tiles down??? And , considering all of this, would it be wiser to lay down an epoxy paint instead of planks?:confused:

Last edited:
Back