Adding outlets to a house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
How doable is it to add outlets to a finished house? I live in an older house and would like some additional electrical outlets.

I know it’s doable, but is it a breeze for an experienced electrician, or a hardship in comparison to exposed stud walls? Is it more costly than putting them in a new construction house?

We always say there are no dumb questions but I think we have one.:p
You are adding cutting and repairing drywall as well as just getting wires to where you can't see what is in the walls.
You can make it easier sometimes like if you locate a new outlet directly behind an outlet in the next room if that circuit can take the load you want to to add to it.
But yes it will cost more.

Are the outlets you have now grounded, and no you can not just look at the outlet to know?
Someone may have illegally changed the outlets with no ground available.
How old is old?
100 % sure it's not plaster, not sheetrock walls?

Speaking as one who is installing new outlets in my Daughter & Son-In-Laws house, YES IT IS more expensive. It's a pain to do (pain costs money if you hire it done)
Costly yes, but if yours are the old style 2 prong outlets, it may be cheaper than trusting the old non-grounded outlets, especially in wet areas like bathroom, garage & kitchen where GFCI outlets are a good idea. They're code here and I assume most everywhere these days.

We always say there are no dumb questions but I think we have one.:p
You are adding cutting and repairing drywall as well as just getting wires to where you can't see what is in the walls.
You can make it easier sometimes like if you locate a new outlet directly behind an outlet in the next room if that circuit can take the load you want to to add to it.
But yes it will cost more.

I appreciate the kindness; that always helps.

While I have never been directly involved, I have known of it to be done before. My grandparents had 2 outlets added to their house years ago, and the guy just came by after his day job and installed them. I came by shortly after the job was finished, and wa-la, there they were. There was nothing torn out or anything that had to be repaired. I didn’t get a lot of details, but it didn’t seem like a huge deal.

While I have never been directly involved, I have known of it to be done before. My grandparents had 2 outlets added to their house years ago, and the guy just came by after his day job and installed them. I came by shortly after the job was finished, and wa-la, there they were. There was nothing torn out or anything that had to be repaired. I didn’t get a lot of details, but it didn’t seem like a huge deal.

Like I said if he just picked a spot that had an outlet in the same stud bay behind it, it would take minutes but if you have to go up or down or back to to the panel it could be a really big deal or anywhere in between.
What did you have in mind?
What do you want to plug into it?
Any outlets close by to attach to?
Some light switches have power that can be tapped into but some do not.

A better description of how, what, why and where would certainly help.

I agree more specific information would be in order.

The only thing I can add in the generic content is there is a way to do it with all surface mounted wiring and in doing this your boxes new and old will stick out from the wall less than an inch and there will be a decorative metal track running along the baseboard and up the wall to each new outlet. It is a DIY friendly concept and if you have the old system without a ground you can replace the starting outlet with a GFCI outlet and feed the new ones from it and they will also be protected and now to code. This type of system is commonly seen in offices and in structures with concrete walls.

Here is a demo video.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JEy4vE9HKM[/ame]

As to dumb questions we all need to be mindful of each person coming here has different skill levels and understanding of building practices. I will say to the OP I don’t think anyone was being malicious in his or her statements. The generality was that every aspect of building a house is compiled of a series of events that are done in a certain sequence and in doing so the labor is greatly diminished both in the ease of doing it and also that there is much greater quantity of the work being done so the cost per individual task goes down. Example a man drives out to the house and installs 200 outlets the cost per outlet will be a lot less than if he makes 200 trips and installs one outlet each time. same is true for plumbing and drywall and every aspect of building. The sequence and the amount of the task determines the cost.

Now in my example above what would be more cost effective surface mount or repairing walls and fishing wires. That question cant be answered unless we know all the details and if the same guy is a handyman and he can do all the tasks like electrical and drywall and painting. Or if you need a crew for each.

For me if the outlets you add are ending up behind furniture and such the surface stuff looks good enough for most peoples tastes and is straight forward.

Give us more information and we will help with making a plan for you to follow.

How doable is it to add outlets to a finished house? I live in an older house and would like some additional electrical outlets.

I know it’s doable, but is it a breeze for an experienced electrician, or a hardship in comparison to exposed stud walls? Is it more costly than putting them in a new construction house?

Yes, it is doable to add outlets to any home. No, not necessarily a breeze for a seasoned electrician. It really depends upon where you want the new outlets (actually they are called receptacles). There are so many factors involved that need to be considered and without us knowing them it is difficult for us to guide you with more specific answers.

I looked back on your posts and do not see any for electrical to get an idea of your skill level so I have to assume you do not have much experience in electrical for the home. This will make it more difficult for us to tell you what would be required to have the receptacles added as first we would need to have specific questions answered first.

What I would suggest is that you call in at least 3 licensed electricians. Tell each of them exactly what you want to do. Let each one give you a "written" estimate. Each estimate should list the exact same work to be performed. This way you can compare apples to apples to get an idea of what it will cost.

Then once you get the estimates you can ask more specific questions here if you have them. We can also guide you a bit in some of the questions you should ask the electricians when they come to the house.

Be sure that the electricians are licensed and insured. Don't use a handy-man claiming they know how to hook up wires. That could lead to more costs in the end as it may have to be done again or cause issues for safety.

In the meantime if you want to ask a more specific question by all means please do so.

Yes, for me and most electricians installing receptacles on bare studs is far easier that working with finished walls etc. But again there are even other things to consider when working with bare studs and that list alone can be very long in itself.

When you have the electricians come give you an estimate let them educate you a bit as to not only what they have to do in order put in the receptacles that you want but why they must do it that way. This at the same time will give you a bit more reassurance of their skill and ability to perform the job correctly. Just going with the cheapest bid is not always the best way to do it.

In the meantime, if you give a bit more detail we can give you an idea of what may need to be done so when you do have an electrician come in we can guide you as to what some of your questions to the electrician should be and what some of the key factors you should be hearing in response to your questions from the electrician to gauge their ability.

and wa-la, there they were
Unfortunately just seeing a newly installed receptacle in the wall with the face plate on it tells no story at all to any electrician. What I mean by this is yes, it may look pretty and impressive and done quickly but without knowing the history behind the wall meaning the work done and for the reasons it was done there would be no way of telling if it was done properly. Again there are so many factors that must be considered first.

How much work it is, and how easy it is to do depends on a lot of factors.

If the house has an unfinished basement or crawlspace below where you want the outlets added or an unfinished attic above fishing interior walls is fairly easy. If there is fireblocking in the way it gets harder. Drywall is easier to repair than wood lath and plaster if you need to do some surgery on the walls to fish the wires. Surface raceways are an option, though last on my list when trying to run wires in a finished space. If you don't know what you're doing you're better off hiring it out. The videos linked below will give you some idea of what is involved.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fishing+wires+in+walls&qpvt=fishing+wires+in+walls&FORM=VDRE

Latest posts

Back