Tiling Whole House????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsh0005

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. So...... I actually don't have a house....yet, but the wife and I are looking around. We found one that we really like and its going to need some work. The work isn't really the problem. The house is located in a flood plane, the 0.2% flood plane rather than the 100 year 1% one. Thankfully insurance rates for the 0.2% aren't really bad at all. I know it may be a hairy situation buying even in the lower risk zone, but the location is really nice. I figured id give a little background information before the question.

The house has carpet which is pretty worn and all of it will have to be replaced. Some of the bedrooms have some ugly green carpet from some other decade.

My thought, was since the whole carpeting will have to be replaced why not just tile the whole house especially with a 0.2% chance of flooding and all that. Our plan is to hold on to the house for many many years, but will eventually move out.

What are thoughts on tiling the whole house?
I've thought about the possibility of maybe radiant heating under the tiles. Is this necessary in the winter in parts like north Alabama? would putting in radiant heating be overbuilding?

When tiling a whole house, ive seen people use the tile as a "baseboard" around the walls. Is this the way to go or is base board better?

I'm just trying to figure out if we were to move ahead with this house, what would be the best type of floor and a ballpark of what it would cost.
Thanks, ahead of time

Welcome to the site.
Get the paper work on the insurance, Sometimes they just dis-clude the flood, nice surprize when you need it.
The tile floor needs a real stiff floor so sometimes your up to some work to get it ready for tiile.
Infloor heat is nice but the cost of material, is a big jump from baseboards and they are still electric. That usally means more expensive, depending on what fuel is available.
If you ever have a flood up into the walls, the drywall has to be removed, I would stay with just wood baseboards for easy removal.

Although the tile may survive a flood, the subfloor may get soaked. Then you still have a problem, with expensive tile work in the way. Infloor electric heating seems like a bad idea in a flood zone, if you ask me.

:welcome:

Depends on your age and health too. Tiles floors are bad for the feet and back. Did you ever work eight hours on a bare concrete floor? Try living on one. I would want to cover the tile with rugs in at least in some areas.

Back