Flooring advise

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Reaction score
So I will need a floor on my first story. The house had multipule rooms with multipule floor types and layers of different floors.I've opened up the house and made an open concept. After stripping alot out I'm left with some uneven flooring. There is nothing consistent to strip down to a single layer of one thing.
So it seems leaving the hardwood is the most consistent layer. Some sub floor can be added to bring the rest of the floor which is lower up to its level. Then I was thinking about going over everything with a tounge and groove osb to smooth it all out.

I'm looking for some hardwood looks . I don't really care how fancy. I'm low budget here. I need somthing that's forgiving and easy to install. I've been looking online e and seems there's alot of floor options. I'm looking for a point t in the right direction.

2015-12-20-185124-1426.jpg

thumb2_2015-12-20-185139-1427.jpg

thumb2_2015-12-20-185203-1428.jpg

You've gone this far, now's the time to do it right.
Removing all that odd ball subflooring would be a lot of work but would make it much easier in the long run to have a flat, level, solid subfloor to work with from that point on.
It would give you the chance to inspect the joist for damage, give you easier access for adding footings and a center beam if one is needed to get rid a center sag.
I'd be using Advantec for a subfloor.
I've been there done that many times, a few tools that make it easier is a Toe Kick saw, and a couple of Guster pry bars.
http://www.gutstertools.com/products.html

Tearing more down is always better as is knowing when to say enough based around the scope of the project and the budget. Only you know that. When you walk around do any of the floors seem weak, have bounce etc? Based around where the doors are set now I would pick a height and work to it if things below are sound. You said your budget is low and I have put down several floating laminate floors and they are very easy to do and wont break the bank. I wouldn’t go with another layer of sub flooring on top of what you have now except where needed to make it flush. Mix up some floor leveler to fill in where needed to smooth it all up and lay down a floating floor.

That’s IMO only.

Thanks guys . Ripping down to one single layer of floor dosnt help much. The house was additions on additions . So they will never all match. So right now it's , for the most part , 2 layers of 3/4" tounge and groove , then hardwood. Pretty thick floor , but I think it helps spread the load. Some guys at my job site are going to start putting an engineered floor down . I might watch.

As far as engineered floors go , what is the tolerance for a wave? The building on the job site has some rough floors , it's 100 years old ish , so maybe I pick thier brains , or left overs , lol

Back