Kitchen Vent Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 34661

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a home and I have selected a home where I like everything except one which I want to discuss here.

There is a microwave with a vent filter on top of the gas range, but the vent does not do anything (there are no pipes). This is a 2 storey, so the bedroom is above the kitchen. There is a sunroom behind the kitchen as well.

My question - I definitely need a kitchen vent. My concern is if its do-able and practically feasible to install one. The realtor and a friend said it would look ugly if its goes through the sunroom. If feasible, then how much would it cost me to rough in a vent exhaust to this microwave? This would not be a DIY for me. Its in Winnipeg. Please make assumptions, I just need a ballpark rounded to the nearest $500, so that I can make an offer accordingly.

Welcome to the site. Pictures and or drawings would have helped. You do not want to dump this in the sun room. so either inside or out you will want to duct it to outside. Inside this is usually done with a drop box framed and drywalled above the cupboard. If the cupboards go right to the ceiling, you might have to run the duct thru the cupboards to get out. Unless the floor joists are running in the right direction, then you could go above the ceiling. Just as a general statement the gutter on the outside usually runs in the opposing direction to the floor joists but not allways.
Just a wild guess, if you can find a way out for it, maybe between $500 and $1000

if this helps...

348g45j.jpg

It looks like the sunroom is out the back window, does it wrap around behind the microwave?

Yes, the left wall of the sunroom starts at around the kitchen window and extends well beyond the microwave. Do you think something is do-able? Cost is secondary factor for me.

Behind the gas and microwave is the dining area which has entry to the sunroom.

Anything is do able, well almost. From the bedroom above you could open the outside wall and run a duct straight up and out above the sunroom. You loose insulation with that one, better if you can run sideways thru the cupboard or above the cupboard and run up, steeling room out of the closet and then out.

Back