Undercabinet Lighting Replacement?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechieJustin

Reaction score
Basically I want to replace the 1970's stone age fluorescent lights with something that is... well, at least 20 years younger than me.
I'm replacing these bulbs constantly, and they take forver to turn on. Not only that, but the kitchen was redone with granite and I want the place to look more modern with regards to lighting. So I was thinking of getting some strips to run alog the underside of the cabinets, pretty much where they are now, but maybe adding more to fill in the gaps.
In the desk pic attached I want a few stripe from the left side of the desk, to the tan brick wall.

I bought two 18 inch "Portfolio" brand from Home depot and they're not bright enough for the desk, and they won't be bright enough for the rest of the kitchen either.
So here I am asking if anyone has some suggestions. I want them to be hardwired - none of these battery powered LED toys. :cool:

DSC00724 (Large).JPG

DSC00725 (Large).JPG

Available at Lowe's

755284008265.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=52492-1390-GL9113-WH-I&lpage=none

These are very bright but they do get hot. I usually mount them on washers to space them a bit off of the cabinets.

I wonder... is that dimmable? I see the switch, but I was thinking of putting these on a dimmer switch.

The switch is a 3 position with low/off/bright. I don't think a dimmer will work with these.

Actually, I'm going to go with T5's.
Halogens won't work very well with the stone countertop. The light will reflect right off and be bad for working on it.

Here is the semifinished product.
I used GE linkable fixtures for the desk, and GE Premium - greem packages for the rest of the area.
I was forced the use the libables over the desk, since there was only one hard wire hookup. It seems to be working.

I have one more to do, over the left hand area. I used 48" and 35."
Dad came home today and was impressed. He likes it. So does Mom.
Another thing: I'm turing that outlet right side up. I hate that upside down crap.
I don't care what the NEC says. The outlets were right side up for all these years, and I have trasformers that won't stay in the outlet if its upside down.

Now how can I hide that dopey cord hanging down betweent he two desk fixtures?

DSC00743 (Medium).JPG

DSC00744 (Medium).JPG

Back