Kitchen countertop rough underneath

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
My parents have a laminate countertop in their kitchen. It is rough underneath the lip that hangs over; it appears to be presswood. Apparently, it has become more rough over the years for whatever reason. My mom says if she leans against it while washing dishes, it may snag her clothing.

I thought about applying a piece of laminate underneath, but it is rough and I assume it wouldn't stick well, and I don't think sanding would be real good in that position.

Would a couple coats of latex paint over this make it smooth and solve the problem?

Paint would help or some plastic wood filler then paint. I like to use 2 part auto body filler and then sand it out and paint.

Put sand paper on a block and then add tape around the edges so you don't scratch the cupboards. The problem is moisture will make this stuff swell and it makes it rough.

I'd sand it as feasible, apply wood filler, then sand out, prime and paint. That should hold up for a good while, moisture not withstanding.

Latest posts

Back