POLL: Kitchen or Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen or convert garage

• Fix kitchen

• convert garage

• forget both

• try your suggestions

Results are only viewable after voting.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what to do first... new kitchen cabinets, countertop and vinyl flooring, or....... convert garage into another room so that I can quit sleeping on the couch/bed....

Now, I have slept on the couch/bed for 3 years... so.... nothing new to me.... but I am having difficulty prioritizing...... the kitchen really needs it... (please see gallery photos if curious) but then again... I could use a bedroom/room (please see garage conversion under framing post)

I am thinking cost wise... I would be about the same.... ( I am not looking for top of the line... I dont want to overdue the neighborhood and I am the worst house in the neighborhood.... just middle of the road stuff.... ) NOt to mention I am cheap.....

so, vote and if you have any ideas, by all mean... sock it too me.....

1. fix kitchen
2. convert garage
3. forget both, pay off debts
4. try your suggestion

I wasn't going to vote for "forget both" until I read the text which said "forget both. Pay off debts".
Paying off debt, as difficult as it may seem, is always the best choice. That is expensive money. Not your mortgage, but CC debt and other loans with higher interest rates. When you get out from behind the debt, it makes it easier to fund new projects.

If you decide that you want to do one of the projects, I think it's best to decide where you spend most of your time. You mentioned that you're a cardiac nurse (I've met many cardiac nurses and surgeons, even in Ohio) and that you have three children. Sounds like you're pretty busy. With three kids I'm guessing you spend more time in the kitchen than in your bedroom, and since you said the couch is working O.K., I'd probably start with the kitchen. From the pictures it doesn't even look very safe (the oven looks like it had a fire!)

My $.02 :eek:

I'd agree with Hack, if you have credit card debt or other debt over 6%, I'd pay that off like crazy. I can see where you want to upgrade the house, but debt will keep you down.

What I would do first is the kitchen, assuming your debt is mortgage related alone and not credit cards, auto loans, personal loans etc. If you needed to resale the home, prospective buyers will go to the kitchen and check that out first. Also garages are important to an awful lot of buyers and converting it into a bedroom may actually decrease the value of your home, or at least make it less appealing to a smaller audience. I think if you modestly improve your kitchen, you will be a lot happier in the end, but thats me ~ not you.

so far.... I am agreeing with you guys..... as for the oven... I got rid of that... havent updated the picture... sorry.... I am going to keep listening and we will see what happens....

I do spend more time in the kitchen, that is very true....

Back