House Wrap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boerssd

Reaction score
G'day,
I'd like to ask a dumb question please... :) (or two...)

I am going to be re-siding my home next year and replacing all of the windows. As the critters have made a mess of the existing house wrap through the knot holes of the deteriorated siding, I figure I should re-wrap as well.

First question - I'm assuming the existing house wrap should come off before the new house wrap goes up? Or should I wrap over wrap?

Second question - While the purpose of the wrap is muti-use, it essentially relies on a continuous barrier behind the siding. You tape the joints and holes to ensure it is all sealed. When we are satisfied that it forms as air tight an envelope as possible, we then install the siding on top - poking literally thousands of holes as it gets nailed up. Did I miss something here???

Sean.

You didn't count all the staple holes your going to install when putting it up. House wrap is for water not air, and will not make it air tight. I would remove old wrap or tar paper so you can see hidden problems before they get hidden again.

I thought the purpose of the wrap was to prevent both air and water intrusion? While it allows the house to breathe - allowing out some air and moisture - does it not prevent mass intrusion of both air and water?

Sean.

Back