Metal roof question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that I'm late to the party but the expansion of the metal has more to do with absorbed radiant heat than hot air. A piece of metal sitting in the sun gets hot and will expand despite the air around it. I don't know enough about metal roofs to make a judgement, but it is possible that the fastening system isn't right....or that the popping sounds are 'par for the course'.

Our house has a metal roof... and we are in the south where it gets really hot so during the day we hear these popping sounds fairly frequently. Sometimes more frequently than others.

I got to thinking that it's gotta be the metal roof expanding since heat expands since there is no other activity going on in or around the house that could be causing this popping sound... and it only happens during the heat of the day.

The house only has openings on each gable end for air flow, so I'm thinking since hot air rises a logical fix for this is to take the top cap off the runs the length of the house and replace it with a cap that is vented.

Does this sound like something that would work so the hot air can have a way of escape?

If so, any recommendations on where to find a vented cap that is made for metal roofs that I assume is secured using self taping screws?

As you said, the popping noise is the metal moving with the heat. Per previous comments, I'd recommend having both ridge vents and soffit vents to ensure you're getting maximum air flow, which will help to keep the metal cool and prevent movement (perhaps not entirely but excessively, at least). If you're looking for vented caps for metal roofs, I'd recommend giving a local metal roofing supplier; tap 'metal roofing [location]' into Google, and you'll find a local supplier. Typically, you shouldn't experience any problems ordering some for pick up.

Last edited:
As usual, I'm chiming in very late and responding just to the OP.

Every morning I take my 1st cup of coffee and go out on the back lanai to drink it and give the cats their regular morning massage. About 8am, as the sun comes over the albezia trees to the east of us, and begins to shine on our roof, the popping sounds begin without fail. It took me a day or two to figure out what it was, the metal roof expanding from the heat from the sun building up. The noise is disconcerting if you don't know what it is. But, it is a normal thing for any metal roof and is not an indication of any problem by itself. The popping happens as the metal heats up and expands, which is before the area under the roof begins to heat up.

Last edited:
Back