Improvised footings?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tailor

Reaction score
I have a friend who drives a roll off truck. He notified me of a pickup that consisted of some kind of intact concrete anchors. They each have a loop of very heavy steel cable coming out of the top. By their appearance my guess is that they were buried and anchoring guy lines for something. They are each roughly 25-30 inches across, and about 3 feet tall. This looks like around 14 cubic feet per. I am guessing they weigh about a ton each.

They are all in good shape as far as I can tell. in the spirit of recycling (and the spirit of getting some free materials), I had thought to use them to create footings for a concrete pad I am going to put near the back of my house. The pad would not be attached, but would be close to the bottom of the steps out the back door.

So anyway, the question is this: Assuming that I come up with a method of safety hoisting the pieces of concrete about, and that would allow for lowering them into holes. Is there any legal, safety, moral, ethical, theological, etc reason why I couldn't use those chunks of concrete as footers for this concrete slab? If it could be done, would there be any caveats to watch out for?

Thanks

I'd love to see how you would get them into the hole; would be a possible all time classic youtube video if things don't go "right"! It's nice that you're in the spirit of recycling and personally I don't see any issues with it if you're able to get it\them into the hole.

that's a GREAT idea except your slab doesn't require any foundation from your description,,, maybe you could trade 'em to joey-pots-'n'-pans & jimmy 3-fingers,,, on occasion they need some weights ! :D

Back