transition question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhit

Reaction score
So i came across a lot of 24"x24"x3/4" travertine tile. I want to use it in the house but also have already purchased the snap in hard laminate hard wood floor. Do they made a transition from a 3/4" tile to the laminate which is a lot thinner?? I know I could build the whole sub floor up in the rest of the house where the tile isnt but that is way to much work for what its worth? Any ideas?

BWhit:

Johnsonite makes hard rubber wedges exactly for this purpose. It's called the Johnsonite subfloor leveler system and it consists of strips of hard rubber all 4 feet long and 1 foot wide but with different thicknesses on each side, as follows:

LS-40 1/4 is 0 thickness on one side and 1/4 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 D is 0 thickness on one side and 3/8 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 E is 0 thickness on one side and 1/2 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 F is 0 thickness on one side and 1/8 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 G is 0 thickness on one side and 3/4 inch thick on the other.

So, imagine you want to run carpet up to your 3/4 inch thick travertine tile:

You could have an abrupt 1 foot wide transition by using an LS-40 E and have the top of the quarter inch thick carpet come flush with the top of the tile. You'd have to lay the tile, measure the carpet thickness and decide what transition to install beside the tile so that the carpet comes up flush with it.

Or, you could have an 6 foot wide transition by buying six LS-40 F's, and using from 1 to 5 shims of 1/8 inch thick material (like vinyl composition floor tiles) under each one.

And, anything in between.

Johnsonite is a manufacturer of rubber and vinyl flooring materials. They won't sell to you directly, but you can order their products from any flooring retailer in your area, or probably save a few bucks and order them online from places like this:

Subfloor Leveler System - Tools4Flooring.com

Latest posts

Back