Metal Roof Patch/Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hello - I recently had to cut out and replace a badly corroded section of my metal ribbed roof panel up under the ridge of an old pole barn. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a similar profiled panel as the already existing roof, and therefore the new "patch" does not overlay perfectly. As you can in the pictures, the is a gap on the end of the patched piece in the spots where the contours don't match.

So far I haven't noticed any leaks, but I am afraid that when we get a strong wind driven rain storm that it will push water up under this gap (between the new and old sections) and leak down from the ridge area. Is there anything I could use to fill in these voids? It's too big of an area to caulk so I'm looking for other suggestions. Again ideally I would have rather purchased a panel with the same profile but I haven't been able to find one.

IMG_20170605_162527783.jpg

IMG_20170605_162514057.jpg

Agreed a sheet metal shop, IE someone who form gutters, and has a "BRAKE" can form a patch or stock for you.

Hopefully you haven't discarded to old piece, for a pattern.

Yes I still have an old piece that could be copied from, just a matter of finding a shop that would do that. So it sounds like the best thing to do is find a shop that can reproduce this same pattern and remove and replace the patch. It wouldn't be wise to use some type of foam in the areas that have the gaps?

Foam is usually a stop-gap.

Oddly, a lot of the architectural shapes you see on commercial shopping centers are foam and are subject to damage from birds, insects and rodents.

You could take the whole sheet off and replace it with a piece of 5 rib then keep the piece you took off for future patching. I think you could buy a full sheet for less than having a section custom made.

Can you provide a link to where the OP can purchase the product locally?

Can you provide a link to where the OP can purchase the product locally?

The OP bought the piece of red for the patch someplace. Lowes, Home depot, or a steel roof supply locally. The piece he bought looks to be the right width only 5 ribs and what he has is 7 ribs. I’m assuming what we can’t see in the bottom of the pic is it runs to the edge of the building and a drip edge. If that whole run was changed out one long piece or two shorter pieces lapped it would all lay flat and you would hardly notice the difference in the rib spacing. It would also lay flat and seal. If I couldn’t find the gray I would paint it before I put it up.

So your saying if I removed that whole section (it is one piece) and replace with a new one width the same design as the red piece the end pieces would align with the existing panels on each side? I didn't want to have to replace the whole panel as the rest of it is in excellent condition but I would like to repair it correctly. I may see if I can find a roofing wholesaler in the area that may carry this design, its hard to believe that no one would carry this in stock.

Most likely the longest pieces you will find at the builder centers is 10’ or 12’. A supplier like I just delivered all the material to my property and I think they will haul pieces 40’ long. I know they do 20’-24’ all the time.

Lowes price for a 8’ section I see is $30 . The piece or pieces you would need should be around $100. Unless you have a shop that works cheap by you I would think they would charge you 100 bucks to make a little piece. If you have a van or truck hauling a 10’ – 12’ piece is no problem and you can lap the joint. I hauled 3 10’ pieces over the weekend in a Honda Element with the tailgate down.

The OP bought the piece of red for the patch someplace. Lowes, Home depot, or a steel roof supply locally. The piece he bought looks to be the right width only 5 ribs and what he has is 7 ribs. I’m assuming what we can’t see in the bottom of the pic is it runs to the edge of the building and a drip edge. If that whole run was changed out one long piece or two shorter pieces lapped it would all lay flat and you would hardly notice the difference in the rib spacing. It would also lay flat and seal. If I couldn’t find the gray I would paint it before I put it up.

Google search from this from LOWE's;https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fabral-5-Rib-3-14-ft-x-12-ft-Ribbed-Steel-Roof-Panel/3047973

The panels are approximately 12 feet long (covers the entire half of the one side of the ridge). It looks similar to the PBU panel, but I checked the dimensions from the old section I removed and noted these dimensions (the PBU site has a technical sheet which lists their dimensions). Below are my panels dimensions:

Overall length: 12 feet
Width: 38.5 inches
Distance between Ribs: 4.5 inches
Rib Rise: .50 inch (1/2 inch)
Width of Rib: 1.25 inches

I have found a couple building supply wholesales in the area so I will probably pay a visit to them with my sample and see if they stock it.

The 38.5” I think is common for 36” coverage. Pretty sure Lowes HD panels are 36” coverage and you can get them 12’ for $42. The one Snoonyb posted above. Looks like it would drop right in if you can’t find the exact same match.

The supplier oldog linked I looked up and for me it would be about a 1 hour drive to the nearest supplier. You might have better luck.

Back