Proper tool to cut this pipe?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNerd

Reaction score
My son-in-law had a foul smell coming up behind his kitchen sink. We opened up the wall and I shot a picture looking up. The cast iron vent line went up to just below the window and then elbowed to the right into galvanized. The pipe was rotted on both ends of the elbow. :hide:

The house is about 65 years old, so I'm guessing all of this is original. I cut into it using my 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel. Thought is was going to be like slicing a banana! Unfortunately, the grinder only has a cutting depth of just about 1 1/2 inches -- obviously I didn't think this all the way through!! The pipe was right up against the exterior wall (stucco) on the back, and support studs on the left. So no room to swing all the way around. Took the better part of the day to cut this apart bit by bit. :down:

For next time (because you *know* there will be!!), what's the best way to cut this kind of pipe in this kind of situation? I wondered if there was something like those camping cable tree saws that would cut metal?? :confused:

Ed

Nate's pipe 2.jpg

sawzall with a metal blade

could not make out anything by your picture,

I really should not give up my tricks

but, lowes, around $40.00

KD Tools Automotive Exhaust and Tailpipe Chain Type Cutter

50164797.jpg

Latest posts

Back