'lectrical question.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

Reaction score
Let me start this off by stating that I am a Mechanical Engineer. I know enough about wiring to avoid killing myself, and have done a bunch of wiring in the house, but all under guidance of my friend, who is a very talented and licensed electrician.

Here's my question: Can I wire a pump as shown below? The switches use the same hot input, and the neutral is from the same circuit. One or BOTH switches could be on at any given time.

Two-Switch Pump Start.jpg

No problem. Allows you to turn on the pump from two locations and both have to be off for the pump to stop.

Your diagram is showing the hots as two separate sources.
If this is the case, you may have concerns with backfeeding the hots when/if both switches are on and in addition, you may have issues with sharing the neutral between two non-adjacent phases.
I suggest you call your friend.

Use a single power source with two three way switches. Instead of two power sources with two single pole switches.

Your diagram is showing the hots as two separate sources.
If this is the case, you may have concerns with backfeeding the hots when/if both switches are on and in addition, you may have issues with sharing the neutral between two non-adjacent phases.
I suggest you call your friend.

Sorry for the confusing drawing, There is only one circuit. The two hot's shown are the exact same hot.

I've got a more sophisticated diagram now. I want to have two relays to start the pump, the first being a pump start relay, and the second being a z-wave appliance relay. The pump start relay will start the pump when the irrigation controller calls for water. The z-wave relay will allow me to turn the water feature on/off when I want to.

The only unknown right now is which "blue" wire from the z-wave relay (LFM-20) is hot and which is neutral. I ordered the z-wave relay and will test to figure that out...I wouldn't want to wire this up incorrectly.

Make sense?

wiring diagram.jpg

Back