Pvc + electric heat panel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryslade

Reaction score
My brother had a small electric heating panel installed right under my bathroom sink. The sink has pvc pipes. I tried the heating panel for the first time this morning. I set it on high. When I ran the cold water about 15 minutes later the water was warm. Will the heating panel being so close to the pvc pipe cause a problem? Thanks

I would say yes. You might need to make and mount some kind of heat shield.

Thanks for your response. Shouldn't the electrician have known the heating panel was a little too close to the pvc pipes?

Yes I would think he should have known. I thought your brother connected the heater. Is your brother an electrician?

No, I said my brother had it installed. This electrician has done a lot of work on the house.

The problem is that the electrician isn't a plumber. Curious though, is the pvc pipe in the wall feeding the sink or pipes outside the wall? Which got warm and how far from the heater are they?

Well call your brother and have him call the electrician and tell him the heater is warming the PVC and you are afraid they might melt or at least you don’t like warm water coming out of the cold side and he needs to fix it.

The heater is not necessarily installed improperly. The installation instructions should list rough in dimensions and clearance from combustible material. It's probably raised the ambient temp in the wall cavity by radiant heat. If the water is only warm, it's probably not even an issue.

first of all,thank you gentlemen for replying to my post. My brother is going to have the electric heater installed somewhere else in the bathroom because he was told it was not a good idea safety wise to have it under the sink.

do not put them under cabinets, or pantry's or refridgerators/freezers , stove, sink,or door 's

You can put them under cabinets, they're called kickspace heaters.

You're right nealtw, and if you assume that it's cpvc and not pvc, it has a higher temp rating.

Latest posts

Back