Fix dented wood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlandkr

Reaction score
So my 6yo kicked my wife's laptop off the bed last night and t caused a nice ding in the wood flooring. This is not laminate/engineered flooring but the real deal.

Are there options for a wood filler or something that I can fill in the damaged spot and then sand it out?

Here is a picture, but its blurry from my phone camera. I'd guess it's about 5/16" deep.

IG81Ns.jpg

Have you tried putting a wet towel over the area, then take a steam iron and see if you can steam the dent out?

Never use any type of wood filler it will stick out more then any dent will. I'd sand that area where the dent is, (yes while your sanding it will look like your making a mess) then try the damp rag trick. It should raise the area some. Then just restin if it was stain before and reseal it with more poly. The poly should blend in all those scratches from the sanding.

If the rag trick doesn't work this looks small enough to put some spackle In there sand and put your wood paint there.

Spackle is for just reparing small nail holes and dings in sheetrock, never should it be used on a floor. Also the floors not painted.

joecaption said:
Spackle is for just reparing small nail holes and dings in sheetrock, never should it be used on a floor. Also the floors not painted.

Any holes in wood smaller then dime size you can usually get a way with using spackle.

Any holes in wood smaller then dime size you can usually get a way with using spackle.

Sure you can if you want a white spot on the floor and have the spackle pop up after you have foot traffic on it. Are you sure you are not meaning wood filler?

Hah yeah was trying to think like way out side the box with this one?... lol I have used spackel on doors and trim figured to be same concept more or less I'm shore you can use floor finish stain paint on that same color don't have much to loose.

Any form of wood filler even the ones that say stainable will stick out like a sore thumb if you try doing it this way.

Wood filler way can be filed down before stained but needs to be dried.

If you can match the wood or if you have some left over peices a good flooring guy can replace the bad board.

Depending on how the steam iron trick turns out (works to a point, I've done it), you'll want to cut in a patch. The wood filler will never match permanently.
If there are leftover boards, you're good. Use a circular saw adjusted to the correct depth of the wood and saw down the center of the damaged board. Pry out the two pieces carefully so as to not damage the adjacent boards.
Then cut the bottom part of the groove on the replacement board, spread some adhesive on the sub floor and pop the new board in. Weight it for a day or so then sand the area around the patch and stain to match.

Ps. If you can't find matching, you could dissect a closet floor for the patching board and fix that one with one thats not an exact fit.

Back