Small Flowerbed Retaining Wall drainage needed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynonstop

Reaction score
Along the pool fence I want to put a flowerbed. In the pictures you can see where I threw 3 blueberry bushes in. Well, now the grass is basically growing straight up and holding the plants in the hillside. A heavy wind will probably make them topple over.
I am thinking about putting a flowerbed or retaining wall. It will be 2 foot away from the fence and about 2 foot out, probably 2 foot tall and might run it most of the way down the fence.
See the picture of the wood style I want.
Here my question... with such a small bed or retaining wall do I need to follow all the drainage rules of building a retaining wall?

20140717_1905202.jpg

20140717_1905412.jpg

Screenshot_2014-07-17-19-19-412.jpg

A low wall with boards,just leave a gap between each board and back fill with gravel against the inside of the wall about 6" wide seperate the gravel and dirt with lanscape fabric.

Instead of wood, which will eventually rot and require replacement (even when preservative pressure-treated), a better option would be to use a dry-stack paver block wall system. They would look quite decorative if you install a semi-circle of them, 3 or 4 courses high, around each shrub. Many different colors and textures are available, and they don't require a rigid (concrete) footing. Such wouldn't take much more work than digging holes for wooden wall posts, probably cheaper too, and would never require replacement.

I agree. the dry stack walls have enough natural gaps to supply drainage. Be sure to put some gravel behind the wall. And remember that the first course of blocks should be deep in the ground.

Latest posts

Back