Drill depth into concrete ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatzke

Reaction score
Just wondering what depth I can safely drill into a concrete apartment ceiling without hitting wiring, pipes etc.. (Canadian apartment).

Cheers.

Building manager should be consulted, a guessing game is not productive and could be dangerous.

Building manager should be consulted, a guessing game is not productive and could be dangerous.

I OK'd it with the superintendent. He told me the thickness of the ceiling. Just not sure what standard depth the wiring is buried in the cement.

Call the city building inspectors and ask what the code would have been when the building was built.

Call the city building inspectors and ask what the code would have been when the building was built.

Sounds like a good idea, don't want to cause any damage.

Embedded items in concrete may or may not be located where pertinent codes say they should be. If the items are metallic, you can use a pachometer to readily spot their locations, and then drill any/all holes to miss those locations.

Latest posts

Back