Tile in the bed room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackofAllTrades

Reaction score
I am planning to tile up the bedroom in my house. The bedroom is within the lower level of the house so the floor is the cement foundation covered with some white paint.

I already tiled up the main room of that floor and it came out...ok...if you don't look too closely. So, this time I am seeking some advice before starting this project.

I will most likely be using 18x18 ceramic tiles, the room is about 250 - 300 sq ft. Last time I didn't use any grout, just plain adhesive and my floor came out somewhat uneven in some areas as I laid the adhesive on fairly, carelessly.

Any advice on how to ensure that my floor will come out even, what kind of adhesive to use and any other advice anyone can think of, any input will be much appreciated.

I am on a budget, wanted to hopefully keep the total cost under $500.

:beer:

I'd go to the library and take out a good book on tiling. You can also buy one fairly cheaply at the big box stores, or even research it on the internet. Google "ceramic tile floor install"

Let me google that for you

I guess ceramic tile adhesive are the most common. Also consider buying some grout to seal between the tiling gaps.

They won't stay down long anyway if they used mastic on the floor. That's a no-no.

Like was said, get a decent book.

Yeah, you should use what is called "thinset". you mix it up in a big bucket. For a large tile you will use a trowel with a large notch. this will help you get good coverage and also allow you to make adjustments for slight imperfections in the concrete below.

Larger tiles are actually a little harder to work with. Probably the easiest tile to work with is a 12" tile, maybe a 9" (not that common). Really small tiles are kind of a pain too.

Another tip - make sure the paint is not loose, scrape or strip it off if it is. Also, make sure the floor is CLEAN. no bits of dirt or debris. Junk can get under the tile and cause it to not sit flat.

You may need to back butter the tiles, too.

as far as level goes make sure the floor is level before you even start. Buttering the back of the tiles is a lot of work if you have lots of uneven floor, better to level first.

The way to level woul be to use a laser level tool, a 4 ftlevel on a long 2x4 or a plate level even a 8 ft level will work. Home centers sell a floor levler that works well mix it a little thinner than the bag says. Depending on the method for leveling pour the mix on the floor and use the level or a screed board to fill in the low spots.

Back