DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > fireplaces

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:43 AM  
Gary
Liked 190 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ours is a wood fireplace. I have a customer that's a tree trimmer, so we have an endless supply of free firewood. The first 10-15 years it rarely cooled off during the winter, but these days we light it for special occasions only. Getting too old to haul wood every 2-3 days. the lower cabinets on both sides hold about a day & a half of wood each. It's about 20 years old now and we've had 0 problems after many many cords per year of use. It's a sealed door unit with outside air for coimbustion and another duct to draw outside air through the heat exchanger to provide positive air displacement in the house (they call it). Supposed to be 70+ % efficient (also what they claim). I know when it's up to temp, you don't stand very close to the doors for very long. I use a duct in one of the skylight wells to draw the heat off the open ceiling and dump it in the far side of the house. heats the whole house that way.

https://www.andersonsmasonry.com/fir...fireplace.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace cropped.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	15199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	15200  
People Like This 
Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 AM  
maxdad118
JOAMOS

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 83

That’s beautiful! I like the clock above����

Old 12-16-2017, 10:30 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 100 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Both my houses so far have had small wood fireplaces in them. Big enough for "single-log" fires. We don't do the fires for heat, just for atmosphere. We don't notice any other parts of the house getting colder as a result--like I said, we do really small fires. Here's why I like wood fireplaces:

- I love the cozy feeling I get from seeing real wood burning in a fireplace. I just don't get that from tidy gas flames.
- I like the rituals involved in chopping the logs, storing the wood, etc. (We don't burn much of it, so I can mostly use the wood I've cut off trees in the backyard or picked up for free here and there, and occasionally supplement with the occasional $5 bundle from the gas station.)
- I of course love building the fires (always the old-fashioned way from kindling, never with fire-starters of any kind) and consider it a valuable skill I'll pass on to my kids. I'm glad they get to watch me doing it often. (I don't mind cleaning up the ash, either, and getting the chimney cleaned once a year or so isn't a huge problem.)

That said, I've had several friends and family members with inserts or pot belly stoves in their houses and those seem pretty useful. If someone offered to give me one and install it I probably wouldn't turn them down. If it was gas rather than wood I doubt I'd care much, though I'd miss the aspects of wood fireplaces I mentioned above.

Last edited by Flyover; 12-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:09 PM  
Gary
Liked 190 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdad118 View Post
Thatís beautiful! I like the clock above����
Thanks MAX. I agree with Flyover, I like the real fire. Nothing like snow outside with a warm fire inside.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 AM  
tuffy
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Thanks MAX. I agree with Flyover, I like the real fire. Nothing like snow outside with a warm fire inside.
That's exactly how I feel.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:00 PM  
maxdad118
JOAMOS

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Here in California in the Bay Area, there are a lot of ‘no burn days’. In fact a few years ago on Christmas it was really cold, guess what? No burn day! Are you kidding?! Stupid. That’s what made me decide to just go gas...I can use it anytime. Now, if I lived in the mountains I wouldn’t think twice, wood all the way!

Old 12-18-2017, 11:16 AM  
Chris

We have two wood burning fireplaces, both have the fans built in to push heat out. One is downstairs and one is upstairs. We run the upstairs one daily for heat along with our forced air. Our house is all electric and the bill would be 500 a month if we didn't burn wood. I leave the heat at 67 and use fire to bring it higher and keep the furnace from running. We are very rural so no gas is out here and propane wouldn't be bunch cheaper.

nealtw Likes This