Duct Rust

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryslade

Reaction score
I have a cold air register for my oil furnace in the front hall. Living on the east coast and getting a lot of snow, a lot of water gets through the register from leaning wet shovels against the wall and walking on the register with snowy boots on. Recently I started hearing a banging noise down cellar. One suggestion on this forum was it was caused by the ducting cooling off when the furnace shut off. I just realized that the ducting leading down cellar from the front hall register, from years of moisture running down it, had rust on it and a small hole had developed. Anybody know a way to patch the hole and get rid of the rust? Thanks

If the rust isn't too extensive, and the hole is just a small one, try the following: Wire-brush the surface rust off, then hit it with some zinc-rich spray paint. After the paint is dry, install a surface patch of galvanized sheet metal, using sheet metal screws and a sealant under the metal.

Latest posts

Back