Matching Texture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewC

Reaction score
I need to match this texture on a ceiling. There are multiple places that need patches and I am not sure how to match it. Any advice, thoughts, etc on how to do this would be helpful.

Thanks

0124011128.jpeg

0124011142-1.jpeg

My sister in law just completed all the ceilings in her house this same way. She purchased a 5 gallon bucket of ready made drywall compound, and mixed it well. Using a 6" wide putty knife, spread it on the ceiling about 1/8th to 1/4" thick and allow it to nearly dry. Then give it a knock down on the high spots, until it blends with the old ceiling. Once it's dry, give it a coat of primer and finally a coat of the same gloss paint.

If you Google knocked down texture there's lots of sites with even vidios showing how to do it. Never seen it done the way the other posted stated. I have seen it done with a drywall gun that shoots blobs of mud then it gets wiped down with a 14" drywall knife.
It's very common to have to redo the whole ceiling to get it all to match perfectly. Then you have to prime before painting with ceiling paint.

After looking closer at the pictures, I believe Joe is correct. That seems to me that the compound was shot extremely thick out of a hopper gun, then knocked down when it was nearly dry. The hopper guns are very inexpensive and connect to an air compressor, and you have the ability to adjust and/or replace the tips to adjust for your preferences.

Back