Minor spalling on concrete driveway - Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hello - I have some minor spalling on my concrete driveway (despite having sealed it in the fall!) and I would like to repair it before the problem gets worse. There are several small spots in the concrete about the size of a quarter in diameter where the surface of the concrete is flaking off about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. What would you recommend for repair products to use that are suitable for a driveway that has vehicular traffic and would also be paintable to match the rest of the concrete once repaired?

I have looked at the Quikcrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher, Quikcrete Quick-Setting Cement, and Quikcrete Concrete Patching Compound and they all look like they would probably get the job done, but I wanted to see what others would recommend based on experience and how I described the ideal end result? Thanks in advance.

whatever you do, NEVER paint your driveway,,, there isn't a paint made that's vehicular traffic resistant

as for the minor spalls, i'd wait & see if they enlarge,,, it could've been a lump of clay/dirt in the conc that finally showed up OR it could be symptomatic of a larger issue,,, far's mtls, i don't think much of ANY stuff sold in apron/vest stores :eek:

Thanks for the feedback, what would you suggest as a solution/product if the ones in the big box stores are inferior?

There have been a few good threads on this in the past and stadry opinion has always been there are no products available to the general public that can touch the stuff he as a professional can use. The problem is the only way you can get some is if you know someone in the business, as they buy in huge bulk that puts it out of reach for DIY.
I also remember some of the products you mentioned coming in as not to far off the mark as recommended by other members. I will see if I can find the old thread from last year or maybe someone else will remember the thread and link it. If I remember right there were a few good how to vids as well.

despite what mfg's say, cementitious products do have a shelf life no matter how well they're packaged,,, must artisans i know buy what they need for a job + 10% just to be safe,,, btw, the reason most are not avail to the genl public is because many mfg's don't want uneducated installers f'n up their good reputations by doing hack work,,, that isn't to say no one ever f's up a job - just that the odds are much lower for approved artisan installers of dec conc products,,, this includes skim coats, acid stains, polyaspartics, epoxies, polyureas, & thin-stamped polymer-mod'd overlays

for garage floors & driveway resurfacing, we use squeegees ( 2', 3, 4, & 6' ) rarely do we use trowels - if we do, they're pool trowels only

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, I may just leave alone for now as the problem is relatively minor however if it continually gets worse each Spring it sounds like having it resurfaced with a top coat may be the best option.

Thanks for the feedback, I may just leave alone for now as the problem is relatively minor however if it continually gets worse each Spring it sounds like having it resurfaced with a top coat may be the best option.

What finish do you have, stamped, or broom or?

kdrymer, good choice,,, you can live w/it for now

resurfacing's another issue - get back to us later,,, we've got 1 to do in a couple weeks

Back