Covering a beveled, leaded glass door with tempered glass?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffandpamsmith

Reaction score
I have an old door and sidelights that had nothing but the art glass in the frames. When I went to a new house and took the door with me, it no longer passes code and must have a sheet of 1/8 inch tempered glass on either side.

I have read and asked extensively, and don't want to make a triple pane sealed unit, eventual fogging, expense, etc.

The local glass experts (the company Binswanger, etc send the glass to to do the work you thought they did themselves) says I can just mount the tempered glass on the inside and outside and not worry about sealing too tightly. He suggested making the trim removable so if it does fog, I just remove the screws, wipe the glass, and replace it.

As some here said, the sealing doesn't help the insulation that much, and Pella windows come vented anyway.

I'm looking for the best advice to do this. I need to meet the building code, but want to minimize fogging. I read about one way valves, can they be applied to a pane of glass even before I mount it? Do I even need them if I just have enough ventillation so there is enough airflow at all times? The beveled glass would be sealed to the frame.

We are rebuilding the sidelight frames, and can custom build as you suggest. I just don't know the fine points.

Our door was fine the way it was, we didn't care about insulation value, but now I need to add the tempered glass in case someone decides to throw themselves through the door.

Any and all suggestion (including out-of-the-box thinking) are very welcome.

Thanks

Well, I don't have personal experience with this situation but I do like what the glass
guy said.
If you can set the glass without stop top and bottom or with the stop held
up from the wood top and bottom maybe 1/4" or so I think that you would have
enough airflow between the glass panels.
I like the screwed and removable stop idea as a "bail out" plan. The only problem
I would see with removable stop is that the glass might rattle when the door
is pulled closed. Aside from insulation, that's one of the reasons we caulk glass
in doors.
I don't know about the valves so I can't speak to their value.

Back