bathtub woes--resurface, get new one?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anyone can help me find the least expensive way to fix a wee mistake I made trying to clean a filthy bathtub (the house is only three years old and we just moved in). Dirt sticks and Vim creme, bleach do nothing to remove it. Then I read on a box of SOS Junior scrubs that they could be used on porcelaine bath prodructs. I don't know why, but it's all blue now (from the pad?) and my husband says it is scratched off and that the tub is ruined. When I looked at the name on the tub and looked up the website, i found it is coated with Endurocast or acrylic. it's a cheap tub, and i wouldn't have chosen the colour which is biscuit. Help please:(

An automotive polishing compound may bring it back.
I have even used car wax to protect the finish on tubs and appliances.
SOS pads should be used on surfaces that are harder than newer fiberglass and acrylic finished products. They're just too harsh for many finishes now.

I hope this works out for you. It's a bad situation when your significant other gets upset, when your trying to do the right thing.

If the tub will not polish out, there are tub refinishers out there, It may be cheaper to have a pro refinish what you have, rather than to try to replace it. That would be the perfect opportunity to change the color also.

Welcome to the forum,
you may not have wrecked the tub just yet..

I dont think it is ruined either.

There are touch up kits that you can purchase to repair chips and scratches in tubs. Be careful to get the proper kit, either fiberglass or ceramic/porcelain.

I think it will be ok, and I am sure that your local ACE, or Home Depot could assist you in the purchase and more advice on the application process.

I have heard that the refinish is good for a temporary fix. I think I heard 5 years. Basically, a refinish is a paint type of coating and like any paint it will only last for so long.

Good luck,

Latest posts

Back