Brick wall flashing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankit

Reaction score
Hi, my house has nice bricks on all 4 sides and I need to install a new flashing under the first row of bricks all around without taking the entire walls down. One contractor said that I could remove on one wall, 5 bricks leave 3, remove another 5 and so on, install new flashing in the openning, re-install missing bricks and than do the same with the row of 3 bricks left there for support !. I can do this but is it OK to do it in this matter, is there a better/simpler way of doing this. Thank´s.

Can you post a photo of what you have now?

And welcome to the forum.

What is failing? Are you having problems inside the house with water coming in?

What made you decide to replace flashings?

Yes, water is coming in on top of foundation wall. Had to remove a fiew bricks for duct work and noticed there were no flashing. I removed a brick from another wall, still no flashing. Yes there are weep holes in my bricks(picture is an exemple of the brick layout of my house, but not of my house). The problem is the flashing.

We do see people cut out for windows and doors and it all stays in place while they install a new lintle so the plan sounds reasonable.

Now I understand the problem better.

I’m not a brick layer so this is coming from another homeowner DIY handyman. Sounds like a slow tedious process but one you should be able to do.
The question is how large an area you can safely remove and what would be the best sequence to do it in? The next question would be what material for flashing and how high behind the brick do you go? I am picturing a Z bend to form a drip edge. The next question is how much overlap and how to best seal that? The overlap will require an area to be open twice.
The contractors suggestion didn’t explain how he would deal with the overlap with his 5 / 3 method my guess is remove 5 place flashing replace 3 in center and then remove next 3 place flashing with overlap and so on. would that be better than just going across. Maybe the logic is in the timing of the mortar to set.

Its a go then. I will proceed with your suggestion of 5/3 replace 3 in center. Thank´s for the feed back.

Back