Not Sure of Know How

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cautious

Reaction score
We have house with a Pier/Beam foundation, was constructed in 1947, with a major remodel (so we were told) between 2004-06. We broke the cardinal rule and purchased the house from relatives who told us that the house had been leveled, new roof, etc. etc. Turns out all the work they "had done" :(was done by them in all actuality.

We hadn't been here a year before we started having leveling problems-squeaking floors, bouncy spots, in one place major slanting (entertainment center is flush to the trim at bottom and by the time you get to the top, about 4.5 ft, there is a 2.75in gap) and trim and base boards pulling away from the wall and now the floor.

Had contractors come in and bid on the job (from $3900-$9700 range). But two mentioned it seemed to be a water level problem. They said before getting the work done, fix the guttering and add more ventalation by the footing, then wait a year and see what happened or else they were just going to be right back out here. So we did, and some areas are much better now.

Living room is not and has gotten worse. Husband has decided to tackle the job with some buddies(none of whom know the first thing about this) so I was hoping for input on how to level it without causing more damage. What tools/equipment are needed etc.

As of now he is planning on pulling up the floor and subfloor in the room to gain access and then just using 10 ton jacks to lift it to level then shim it, lay a new subfloor, and flooring (we were planning on redoing the floor anyway-it is roll out vinyl and has been steady pulling up with huge speedbumps appearing).

The problem is compounded by the fact that during the "remodel/renovations" they added on a utility room where the back porch used to be-without removing the concrete porch, so it is really difficult to gain access to this room because of this on one side, the front porch (concrete) on one side and an attached garage (concrete slab) on one side.

Welcome Cautious:
I can understand your apprehension after being burned so badly. It looks like you may have a handle on the tools and equipment, I would add please move deliberately and carefully.
I would try to level any floors accessible from the bottom, rather than tear up the whole floor. The speed bumps sound like a vinyl job a customer did using 1/4" paneling for underlayment. As soon as it absorbed moisture from under the floor they had plenty of speed bumps. When you replace it, be sure to use 'underlayment grade' products.
We could give you more answers if there were some pictures of the problems.
Glenn

Back