How would a piece of strapping be repaired or replaced

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor43

Reaction score
Hello the entire piece of strapping located right at the joist needs to cut. My question is will the entire strip of strapping (10'-15' in length) or just the area of where the strapping is cut will need to be replaced ? Wouldn't the rest of the strapping around the area of where the cut is taken weaken or start sagging ?
Strapping Work.jpg

The strapping serves no structural purpose other than to hold up the ceiling drywall. Replace what is needed for that purpose.

Why is it being removed in the first place?

Just fit a piece of 2x4 flat between the joists. Nail or screw it through the joist to secure. Use a couple of 2" drywall screws drilled through the 2x and into the strapping from above, so you don't make holes in your ceiling. Do this before you cut the strapping if you can, to give a more solid base for when screwing down through to secure the strapping.
I'll assume you want to install a new pancake box for a fixture or fan. You could get away with doing nothing, as the strapping is pretty stiff, but if it's on a seam, or someone puts pressure on it from above, it could become an issue.
Just offset the 2x4s on each side of the joist so you're able to screw through the joist and into both at the cut spot.

Last edited:
The strapping serves no structural purpose other than to hold up the ceiling drywall. Replace what is needed for that purpose.

Why is it being removed in the first place?

Hello and thank you for the response. The reason that the strapping is being cut is appears that the strapping located near the intersection has split causing the drywall to sag ever so slightly.

Hello and thank you for the response. The reason that the strapping is being cut is appears that the strapping located near the intersection has split causing the drywall to sag ever so slightly.

We all assumed you were putting a light or something there.
Just follow beachguys instruction and maybe have some one down stairs to push it up to level when you do it. It might be that the joist is crowning down and this will fix that.

Just fit a piece of 2x4 flat between the joists. Nail or screw it through the joist to secure. Use a couple of 2" drywall screws drilled through the 2x and into the strapping from above, so you don't make holes in your ceiling. Do this before you cut the strapping if you can, to give a more solid base for when screwing down through to secure the strapping.
I'll assume you want to install a new pancake box for a fixture or fan. You could get away with doing nothing, as the strapping is pretty stiff, but if it's on a seam, or someone puts pressure on it from above, it could become an issue.
Just offset the 2x4s on each side of the joist so you're able to screw through the joist and into both at the cut spot.

@beachguy005 Thank you very much for the above reply. I have been discussing the cutting and replacement of the strapping with some contractors and I was given the impression by one that the entire length of strapping of 8' - 10' will need to be replaced. Placing a 2" x 4" in between the joists should work perfectly once the strapping is cut. I'm a little confused by the part of "Do this before you cut the strapping". Would you mean to imply that the strapping be cut from above from within the attic ? If yes then I understand what you mean otherwise I'm still not understanding. The reason that the strapping is being cut is that appears that the strapping located near the intersection has split causing the drywall to sag ever so slightly and yes we would like to do some renovations to that the room by installing a new lighting fixture.

Thank you again

Victor

@beachguy005 Thank you very much for the above reply. I have been discussing the cutting and replacement of the strapping with some contractors and I was given the impression by one that the entire length of strapping of 8' - 10' will need to be replaced. Placing a 2" x 4" in between the joists should work perfectly once the strapping is cut. I'm a little confused by the part of "Do this before you cut the strapping". Would you mean to imply that the strapping be cut from above from within the attic ? If yes then I understand what you mean otherwise I'm still not understanding. The reason that the strapping is being cut is that appears that the strapping located near the intersection has split causing the drywall to sag ever so slightly and yes we would like to do some renovations to that the room by installing a new lighting fixture.

Thank you again

Victor

Cut the strap first, it will be nailed straight up so tham might be a bit of a fight to get out. then screw the 2x4 to the stapping and have someone push the ceiling up to level and the screw the 2x4s to the joist.
If you have a smooth ceiling down stairs you could use a 4 ft 2x4 on top of a tall 2x4 to hold it up and true it to the other joists.

Thank you again

Victor

My reasoning was that if you were in the attic screwing down through a 2x into the strapping, the force used pressing down may damage the ceiling. Cutting it first would allow some downward flex. My reasoning was also based on the thought that you were cutting in a new ceiling box which could have been done from below.

Latest posts

Back