Lifting home, adding more basement height

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manage attachments
Choose file
select photo
upload file

Unless you are on your phone then you need help from others.

Android phone.
I noticed this site isn't really mobile friendly.
I will try it on my Mac

"The foundation has been built to match the addition on the house."

Was the addition another modular structure or stick-built on site?

"The house is a pre fab home. I dont believe it was on wheels at any point."

Some municipalities have specific regulations governing Modular housing and at what point they are reclassified as a conventional residence, and need to conform to to those requirements.

One of which is when a buildings length, exceeds 3 times its width, there needs to be a shear wall.

Thanks.

Modular building are all engineered and before one can be placed there is a whole booklet of information that must be submitted for approval.

Stick built generally do not require an engineer, unless there are inordinately large openings, 2nd floors or large clear spaces.

However, when a modular structure is severely modified, the original engineered integrity becomes compromised, which can result in the structure being reclassified.

Always ask.It doesn't hurt to know your limits.

Doing anything in NY/NJ is more expensive than anywhere else. I can't imagine being a contractor in NYC. The permitting, the traffic, the graft, the unions, the difficulty in getting materials to the job, parking your truck close to the job site, not getting your equipment stolen.

Yup...been there..TSHIRT was even taken...it is a different world.

Snoonyb :
So do I go to the city for the information?

I called one comoany about lifting the house, and we are at $8000 to lift it up and set it back down on the higher foundation, this as a rough estimate and he said it could be more or less but not by much.

Second company I called said under $10,000 but he would have to come look. And he would be able to put the floor in as well for somewhere under $15,000

I am wanting to do this because it seems like a pretty cheep way to add value to my place.

If this is not something that is going to increase the value of my home much then I may not do it.
Any thoughts?

Snoonyb :
So do I go to the city for the information?

That would be my 1st stop and don't arbitrarily be put off by what they may require of you.As a for instance, they may require a plot plan, which is a birds eye view of your dwelling, located on your property, correctly dimensioned, before they can advise you.

A straight edge, an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, a pencil and a tape measure.

I called one comoany about lifting the house, and we are at $8000 to lift it up and set it back down on the higher foundation, this as a rough estimate and he said it could be more or less but not by much.

Second company I called said under $10,000 but he would have to come look. And he would be able to put the floor in as well for somewhere under $15,000

The logical tact would be to visit the property, to ascertain access to both the original under floor space, as well as the addition and if the the access is easily transitioned.

I am wanting to do this because it seems like a pretty cheep way to add value to my place.

If this is not something that is going to increase the value of my home much then I may not do it.
Any thoughts?

I would actually lift one course higher than 3', because the slab is going to reduce the head clearance and factor into any proposed ceiling finish, let alone doubling your occupied living space.

There is also the exterior architectural aesthetics as compared to the real comps of the area.

You have a several course meal, on your plate.

As for the aesthetics, I am a little worried about how going to look.
I'm going to have to raise both decks but that's fine.
I am going to try and see if anyone could possibly photo shop it. Maybe get some idea of what it will look like.

I told the cheaper guy that if he was in porters lake at any point to come by. I don't think he is local so I'd rather not make him drive all the way out just to look at it. I'm sure I am aways off from. Breaking sky.

As for lifting higher, I wasn't set on my measurements so what ever night gives me adequate room under the house.

I am thinking more for resale but also it's always in the back of my mind that the pipes are going to freeze.
They are double insulated but it still get cold down there.
So the foundation would be a great piece of mind.

I guess I will be stopping by the city

Keep in mind below grade space isn't valued as high as above ground space. If you can make it a walk out on one side that would be a big plus. You might want to use fill on the front side to bring the grade up closer to the first floor after you lift it.

If you've ever watched Texas Move and Flip on HGTV they move all kinds of houses on that show. Some they have to saw in half to move them down the road. Yours has the advantage that it once was delivered to your property as one unit so the main house should be easy to lift. The addition makes it a little more complicated.

If you know who built the house, you might contact them, they may have suggestion on how to side it or even show you what it might look like.

House movers will not have their own concrete placers, they just hire another contractor. Contact your local ready mix company for a list of local placers.

The problem I might have is the house being so narrow. 15' wide two story house is going to be maybe 20' tall. The end view of the house is going to look like a silo.
Before I did mine I did my own to scale sketches to get a good idea of perspective.

"I told the cheaper guy that if he was in porters lake at any point to come by. I don't think he is local so I'd rather not make him drive all the way out just to look at it. I'm sure I am aways off from. Breaking sky."

You have that option at present, however, it's a buyers market, and, open bid.

You mention that the one HM would also pour the floor. Who will be responsible for the additional masonry height extension, or did that come up, in the conversation.

Consider obtaining separate bids for specific trades.

Remember, it's your time, and money.

"As for lifting higher, I wasn't set on my measurements so what ever night gives me adequate room under the house.

I am thinking more for resale but also it's always in the back of my mind that the pipes are going to freeze.
They are double insulated but it still get cold down there.
So the foundation would be a great piece of mind."

Is it your intension to access the new space from inside the dwelling, to convert it to habitable space, with a walk-out? Where is your comfort heat plant now, and/or your laundry facility?

Relocating and upgrading the comfort heat plant, depending upon how the existing is run can be relatively simple.

I am sure the extra height could be built out of wood and standard finished height would be 100 1/4" above the footing.

My plan was.to build a 2x6 ponywall. To take up the extra room.

My plan is to put the stairs in the loft area. There will be alot of remodeling to make the house flow better once the basement is in.

My heat source is a heat Pump in the middle of the house and I plan on putting a wood stove right beside it. A small smoke Regen stove, Once the basement is in I plan on moving it down stairs. Washer and dryer will likely move down there as well.

Sorry about the Grammer. It's a pain on the phone.

The problem I might have is the house being so narrow. 15' wide two story house is going to be maybe 20' tall. The end view of the house is going to look like a silo.
Before I did mine I did my own to scale sketches to get a good idea of perspective.

So have you done this type of work to your house? Is your foundation mostly above or bellow?

So have you done this type of work to your house? Is your foundation mostly above or bellow?

Yes, as I noted in an earlier post. I built 6.5' tall walls in sections that I could handle myself. Set the house back down on them and ended up with a new 8' plus ceiling height first floor walk out.
I added fill in the crawl space. Insulated and put down hydronic pex tubing and had a slab poured over it. It's a lot of work.
I kept the main living area as the second floor because it gave me ocean views.

Last edited:
My plan was.to build a 2x6 ponywall. To take up the extra room.

In your discussion with the building department, be sure and mention this, because there will be very specific attachment as well as shear details.

My heat source is a heat Pump in the middle of the house and I plan on putting a wood stove right beside it. A small smoke Regen stove, Once the basement is in I plan on moving it down stairs. Washer and dryer will likely move down there as well.

You'll need to plan for an evacuation system before the slab is poured.

Sorry about the Grammer. It's a pain on the phone.

We're not going anywhere, take your time.

Back