Clueless Girl with Leaking Faucet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannongirl

Reaction score
Hello there,

this seems like a dumb question so sorry....but seeing different ways on the net to fix things in different ways is confusing...

so i have this kitchen sink faucet leaking. i assume there is some piece i need to change in there to stop it leaking or do I need to change whole faucet ?.....and underneath all I see is a big screw in the middle where the faucet must be above (with water lines on either side) so not sure how to remove- just undo the one screw?

20171228_090024.jpg

20171228_090030.jpg

20171228_090210.jpg

20171228_090236.jpg

On this type of faucet you'll be changing the cartridges in either the hot or cold or both sides. remove the handles and remove the cartridges, take to store for comparison when purchasing replacements. If your lucky, you can find some O-rings to repair the cartridges. May haev to buy a kit.
This is general and in a nutshell, hopefully someone will come along with more details than I can provide.

can't get the brace thing over the bottom of the neck off. well i guess i'll try to go get wd40 and see if that works

still not budging and now i scraped it up with the tools :(

In the video it shows a pair of channel locks with the jaws wrapped, it's the method to not damage finishes.

You can use any heavy bodied vinyl tape.

no there is no indication of any brand. perhaps i should replace the whole fixture

no there is no indication of any brand. perhaps i should replace the whole fixture

The brand may not be obvious, from the front, but if you take a small mirror and look at the back of the base plate, right behind the goose neck, it may be there.

For removal, no special tools are required, just a large plier or channel locks.

From the above and below photos it looks like that faucet wasn’t a real expensive one. The parts time and labor to fix it IMO wouldn’t be worth it where it is leaking. Measure the distance between the handles center to center and buy a replacement you like. You can find them between 30 and 300 dollars depending on brand and features. I think yours started off on the lower end.

If you have some special attachment on the spout don’t forget to take it off and move it if you need it.

If you want to DIY we can help with directions.

Back