How's It Look? 100 amp sub wire up.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harborremodel

Reaction score
So here's my setup for my 100amp sub panel. Just checking with you all on if this looks correct. I installed the ground bus bar in the sub and made sure the neutral is not bonded to the ground anywhere in the sub only in the main. I still need to run my circuits in the next few days to get this completed.

2018-01-27 16.16.25.jpg

Looks like the top (black) wire has the shielding scuffed up on the back side, like from pulling the wire into the box or something. Hard to tell exactly what I'm seeing?

Is it scuffs or a reflection? Might be a reflection. And is this picture rotated?

Is it scuffs or a reflection? Might be a reflection. And is this picture rotated?

Wires coming in from the top.
Could be a reflection, but it looks like there's damage to the outer jacket. Hard to say.

bushing should used on the end of the conduit. In some places it is required.

Good feedback thanks! I'll get a bushing on there. Also the outside wrap seems like a bit of thin plastic did get a little beat up. Is that an issue? Under that thin plastic everything is perfect looking.

Did I hear out there anywhere the term "six throw rule"? Also all I read is that this is a sub panel. Yes, sub panels are to have their neutral and ground separate however do we know if this sub is even in the same building?

Back to the six thro rule. So far I count what maybe eight breaker positions. I don't see a main breaker in that panel. If the main is very near by and maybe even in the same building an inspector may let you get by with it but that panel should have a main breaker in it and if it is in a separate building the grounding should be performed a bit different (well in addition) to what is normally done.

How many breakers is that panel able to handle by its rating? Is the sub in a different building (detached) from the main panel that is feeding it or very close by let's say within an eye shot?

Did I hear out there anywhere the term "six throw rule"? Also all I read is that this is a sub panel. Yes, sub panels are to have their neutral and ground separate however do we know if this sub is even in the same building?

Back to the six thro rule. So far I count what maybe eight breaker positions. I don't see a main breaker in that panel. If the main is very near by and maybe even in the same building an inspector may let you get by with it but that panel should have a main breaker in it and if it is in a separate building the grounding should be performed a bit different (well in addition) to what is normally done.

How many breakers is that panel able to handle by its rating? Is the sub in a different building (detached) from the main panel that is feeding it or very close by let's say within an eye shot?

Would you advise the OP to use a separate disconnect directly before the sub panel then or a different panel with a built in disconnect. Would it be possible to get a link to his options.

I had an electrician tell me once a panel like that was only 4 throws as he could easily do two at a time with his large fingers. :confused:

Would you advise the OP to use a separate disconnect directly before the sub panel then or a different panel with a built in disconnect. Would it be possible to get a link to his options...

Can not advise harborremodel yet as we need to first find out where in relation to the main panel this sub panel is.

I had an electrician tell me once a panel like that was only 4 throws as he could easily do two at a time with his large fingers. :confused:

And an inspector may say to that "well Olive Oil may not have fingers big enough to throw them there breakers" so I want to see a main breaker in that panel. Which just from looking at it I don't think it can take a main breaker is it only a lug. Again basically the answer to this question is based on the answer to the above question/s.

Can not advise harborremodel yet as we need to first find out where in relation to the main panel this sub panel is.

In his other thread he was talking about a 100 amp sub panel for his shop. I guess you are correct his shop could be in his basement right next to his main. Even in that case a main disconnect labeled Shop power might be a nice thing to have. If you wanted to kill the entire shop in a hurry or just kill it when not there for safety etc.

In his other thread he was talking about a 100 amp sub panel for his shop. I guess you are correct his shop could be in his basement right next to his main. Even in that case a main disconnect labeled Shop power might be a nice thing to have. If you wanted to kill the entire shop in a hurry or just kill it when not there for safety etc.

As in real estate when referring to the sub panel - "location", "location", "location". That determines some differences for the sub panel along with AHJs interpretation and the inspector.

#1 attached or detached building are we talking.

Hi All-

The main panel is about a foot away from the sub. I have a 100amp breaker in the main that connects the sub and could easily reach the main breaker if needed.

Here are a few pics of the main and sub. I ran conduit behind the sub and into the side of the main.

2017-10-23 18.22.14.jpg

2017-10-24 11.41.16.jpg

From what I see just from the pictures I don't see any issues with it so far. :thbup:

Latest posts

Back