Pre-fabricated Carport

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
I ordered a galvanized steel pre-fabricated carport that shall stay in front of the garage. The crew will deliver and assemble the carport in place.

It seems that almost everything nowdays require a permit to help increase the city budget, but the vast majority of the time nobody gets a permit unless it is a major work with insured contractors, etc. Would it be advisable to get a permit for this carport that will only take 45 minutes to be assembled?

thk!

In some areas we can build sheds and things that are temp, not on a foundation. but you still have to be a certtain distance from the property lines.
I would want to find out what the rules are and what happens if you get cought breaking the rules. Cost benifit!

It may only take 45 minutes to build but it will be visible from now on. Did you check to see if it clears the legal setback from the road and other little details that could become official problems?

Around here they look on google earth and compare roofs before and after each time period. My nephew cut down a pine tree and built a storage shed on the spot and told me he was going to paint a tree from above on the roof. I asked him if he was planning to shovel it all winter.

Hit with twice the permit fee as a minimum, have to take it all back down as the max.and have to deal with them in the future under a magnifing glass.

Another thing to look at is zoning. I am rural residential and can build up to a 400 sq foot non live able structure without any permit.

It may only take 45 minutes to build but it will be visible from now on. Did you check to see if it clears the legal setback from the road and other little details that could become official problems?

No, I did not check that; but the access to the house is via an easyment so there is not road in front of the house and everything in front of the house is private property (I happen to own the easyment). The next public road would be at least 100 meters after the easyment

Around here they look on google earth and compare roofs before and after each time period. My nephew cut down a pine tree and built a storage shed on the spot and told me he was going to paint a tree from above on the roof. I asked him if he was planning to shovel it all winter.

Yeah, that is an interesting approach

Another thing to look at is zoning. I am rural residential and can build up to a 400 sq foot non live able structure without any permit.

I looked up the permit info some time ago, and as far I can remember mine fall short of not needing a permit. It seems that anything below (shed or carport) with less than 200sqt ford not require a permit.

Back